The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been itching to fill my final Nebraska turkey tag with my 20 GA Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading flintlock fowler. So, I got together with a co-worker this morning and we took his boat to some remote public land. The area has a bunch of birds, but the walk-in accessible portion gets a decent amount of pressure. The back side - only easily accessible by boat - sees virtually no pressure. Going to this side would make for an excellent hunt.

My hunting partner started off calling for me and did a fine job. With my decoys out in front of us and the bird distracted by his rubber lover, my buddy ultimately lured this bird into just 20 yards, the sweet spot for this smoothbore. It goes without saying that a dose of 70 gr. of Goex FFg authentic black powder with 1+1/8 oz. of # 7.5 lead shot at that range was instantly lethal.

This bird was a "tween": he had a stub beard, spurs that were only 3/8" long and the last set of his fan feathers were not quite even with the rest. It made no difference - I was extremely happy to have finally put a turkey down with this gorgeous gun.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys! Here's video of the hunt, including the four Toms that I called in for my buddy. He scored a double using his Mossberg 12 GA, and we were both tagged out for the season.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again, guys! This was one of the most rewarding hunts I've ever been on, purely due to the fact that it involved a traditional flint gun.

I should probably give also give a plug for the Matt van Cise box call that I used. It's actually Dymondwood (manmade laminate) over flame box elder, and the sucker just sounds great. The birds agreed. That 4-pack of Toms you see come into our spread in the video above was called in for my friend using that call. Interestingly, I got that call last week and this was my very first time taking it into the field. Batting 1.000 with it so far! :D

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Awesome job man, congrats.

I wanted to take my flintlock 20 gauge out, but we hunted in my old spot where we use bikes to get back in. I don't like the idea of slinging a long arse fowler over my shoulders, so will hold off using it until next weekend when I'll be hunting locally at an area where we just walk in.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Congrats on the harvest! That is a beautiful fowler.

Reactions: Six-Gun

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome job man, congrats.

I wanted to take my flintlock 20 gauge out, but we hunted in my old spot where we use bikes to get back in. I don't like the idea of slinging a long arse fowler over my shoulders, so will hold off using it until next weekend when I'll be hunting locally at an area where we just walk in.
Yeah, good call on not biking in with a gun that long. A lot could go wrong for both you and the gun when branches get involved, especially at higher speeds! Sounds like you have a good, feasible spot to get it done with that fowler. Good luck out there!

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Yeah, good call on not biking in with a gun that long. A lot could go wrong for both you and the gun when branches get involved, especially at higher speeds! Sounds like you have a good, feasible spot to get it done with that fowler. Good luck out there!
Its not so much branches I'm worried about as we're on a logging trail, but the length of the gun is unwieldy and riding a bike with it on my back could be a problem. That, and I'm concerned about rubbing the finish off the gun due to the hard plastic clips and snaps on my turkey vest. Before I painted and then covered it in camo form, I rubbed the finish off my single shot's forearm in this manner when it was slung over my shoulders. So, I'm not chancing that with the gun I built.

My son and I are going down to the local spot this coming Saturday (I can't take off during the week unfortunately due to work), I'll have the flinter with me then, unless rain is called for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts