The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about getting into muzzle loading for a while now. I have a few friends that have been doing it for years and spent some time at the range with them having a good time shooting there guns.

Well with the very cold temps today and not wanting to do anything outdoors I went to a gun show with one of my buddies to see what we could find. There was a guy there selling a Lyman Trade Rifle and a Lyman Great Plains Rifle both in 50cal. I couldn't make up my mind which one to buy so my buddy, being the good friend he is, talked me into buying both. The guy made me a very good deal on both rifles so it looks like a trip to the range tomorrow!

Does anyone shoot one of these rifles and how do they shoot?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I can't help with the Lyman , my dad and I both have T/C muzzleloaders. I guess no matter the make it is one of the addictive hunting sports

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Lymans are great guns very plain and if you do your part the gun will do its part.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I have a GPR in flintlock ,54 caliber. The gun is every bit as accurate as my kit gun, but its lock isn't as fast as the Siler on my Lancaster. For a factory produced gun you can't go wrong with a Lyman.

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts
I have been thinking about getting into muzzle loading for a while now. I have a few friends that have been doing it for years and spent some time at the range with them having a good time shooting there guns.

Well with the very cold temps today and not wanting to do anything outdoors I went to a gun show with one of my buddies to see what we could find. There was a guy there selling a Lyman Trade Rifle and a Lyman Great Plains Rifle both in 50cal. I couldn't make up my mind which one to buy so my buddy, being the good friend he is, talked me into buying both. The guy made me a very good deal on both rifles so it looks like a trip to the range tomorrow!

Does anyone shoot one of these rifles and how do they shoot?
You'll probably find sometime in the near future that these two flintlocks won't be the only ones finding their way home. Welcome to the "hobby".:smile2:

·
Registered
484 Posts
I shoot a pedersoli blue ridge .50 flint lock 1-66 and a RMC .50 flint lock 1-28 and both are very good rifles with reliable locks with black English flints and black powder. eastbank.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Have the Lyman and haven't shot it in 30 years. Decided to hunt this year and at 75 yds. it shoots 4 in. groups. The back story is I spent a lot of time trying different loads before I found the best. Spend the time you'll be glad you did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts