The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called the Bloomsburg Pa Wal-Mart on Wednesday and asked them to put my name on three Dunstan Chestnut trees, when they got the delivery. I was told they couldn`t do that, but they would call me when they had them. I then e-mailed Realtree Nursery and asked if they could tell me what day the trees would be delivered to the Bloomsburg store. Their answer stated that the best they could tell me, was Friday or Saturday. I called Wal-Mart today (Friday) at 10:30 am and asked if the trees had come in yet. I was told yes they had, but they were unloaded right from the delevery truck onto the back of a customers truck. ALL 40 TREES. I asked how the customer knew when the trees would be delivered, and was told he contacted Realtree Nursery for that information. I highly doubt that, since Realtree could only narrow it down to two days for me. It is my theory that someone from Wal-Mart called the aformentioned customer, who I was told was waiting at Wal-Mart when the delivery truck arrived. I then called Wal-Mart Corp headquarters to file a complaint. They said they would look into this issue and get back to me. Some days you get the bear and some days the bear gets you!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I know people that track trucking and have no problem getting 223 shell or anything else they want might have not been wally worlds fault.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dobsonknob said:
They sold all 40 trees to one customer?
Yep, That is what they told me. The trees never even made it into the garden center. They went from one truck to another truck.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Real tree has on thier website when trees are shipped out to walmart stores.They predicted walmart stores in Pa. to get them in time for the Easter weekend.I checked my local store today they had gotten them in but had not put them out for display yet.By missing out last year I new enough to keep an eye on thier web site an check early.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Westonhunter hope it works out for you. Been calling all week afeter I saw they were shipped Monday. Called Wednesday, thursday, Friday twice. Showed up this morning and saw a 15 sawtooth oaks with realtree nursery marked on the side. Told the wife this does not look good. Finally talked ot a guy that said they cam in Thursday and 1 guy bought 5 then another bought the remaining 25 just a little bit later. So I could have not checked any earlier.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
PA Venison, if you go on the Realtree Nursery site you can order Dunstan's directly from them. Our QDMA branch has an annual sale through Realtree where we sell over 600 each year. I bought from Realtree last year and every tree was in excellent condition. They were appx 24" when I planted them. I used grass matting, tubes and stakes and every tree grew out of the 5' tree tubes by September. Mind you these are bare root stock, not 3 gallon container trees, but they grow fast and are 1/2 the price of the Wally World trees.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Well I finally got got some to plant this year. My father inlaw grabbed me some at the York walmart. Lady told him that a guy just came in and bought 20 this morning.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
What is the deal with these trees? Why are they so desirable?

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
Before the blight, hogs were free ranged through out the southern mtns. Chestnuts pretty much fed the hogs all year long. They also kept the people fed as well.

I have a few chestnuts of unknown variety in my area. In the fall when nuts drop, the goats will race from one tree to another after the nuts.

In some areas even flour was made from chestnuts.

Dunstan's grow much faster than the Chinese varieties.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yesterday the East Stroudsburg Store had a shipment still intact. They sold me four right out of the shipping container. Their phone number is (570) 424-8415.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had an email yesterday that RealTree Nursery is going to ship more Dunstan Chestnut trees to selected Walmart stores in Pennsylvania & Ohio. If you're interested it may be worth contacting your local store.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I called the Bloomsburg store yesterday. They said they would put three Dunstans back for me when they arrive. ( this is a result of my e-mail to Wal-mart Corporate) I guess we will see what happens.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I just received this E-Mail the other day from Real tree nurserys

MORE CHESTNUTS TO WALMART STORES IN PA, OH, MI and WI and FARM KING SUPPLY Stores in IL!!!
Buck in chestnuts Buck in chestnuts 2
In response to overwhelming demand, we are delivering a second shipment of chestnuts to select Walmart Stores in PA, OH, MI and WI, and FARM KING SUPPLY between April 25-27.

These Walmart stores will be getting the following trees:
PA -
2208 Sayre - 400
2519 Shrewsbury - 100
1529 York - 50
2334 Lancaster - 50
1640 State College - 100
1794 Bloomsburg - 150
1739 Washington - 100
2049 Altoona - 200
1623 Wilkes Barre - 150
1884 Dickson City - 300
2024 Tunkhannock - 200
2064 Milford - 200
2365 Mount Pocono - 100
2480 Honesdale - 200
2543 Pittston - 50
OH
2199 St Clairsville - 50

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
So these are the Dunstan Chestnuts or a different kind?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Yes they are the Dunstan chestnuts sent from Realtree nurseries, but I believe they comfrm chestnuthill tree farm.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts