The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be kinda interesting and fun to start a thread where you can share some tidbits that you use while hunting. Doesn't have to be anything earth shattering. Just something that you do that others may not.
I have two that I'll start with. The first one is something I picked up on my hunts in Newfoundland. I always wear knee high rubber boots there due to it being pretty swampy. Always wear some kind of waterproof pants too. I pull my pantlegs down over the boots and wrap a heavy rubber band around the pant leg, securing it tightly against the boot. These rubber bands are big, like 3/4" wide if you can find them but really anyone that is heavy will work. If you go in water overtop of your boots it buys you some time beore you get soaked. I mostly wear them now while hunting up at camp and I might have to cross some streams. Crossed a few so far where I may have otherwise gotten wet without them.
Another thing I do is for my treestands. The metal platforms really make my feet cold when it below freezing out. I've started cutting pieces of carpet the size of the bases, wash them in no-scent detertgent first and then attach them to the base of you stand, usually with wireties or something similar. Helps keep the feet warmer and keeps the stands from getting slippery with ice too.

Hope to hear some other good tips...

·
Registered
895 Posts
always carry some heavy duty garbage bags(at least 2) with me
just in case I have to cross a stream....especially after it rains. Caught up to many a Gobblers this way!!!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
If you have to do a number 2 in the woods, make sure that your bibs are pulled to the front. You won't have enough scent killer for that!

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
ALWAYS wear your hat backwards. It makes the animals think you are are looking the other way.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Always carry toilet paper in a zip lock baggie so it doesnt get wet.
Always carry more than one flashlight.
Always pick up the trash you find in the woods and pack it out with you.
Always bring the right ammo and clip for your gun it saves you a trip to the gun shop when you realize you brought the wrong clips and ammo.

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
RonM said:
Always, ALWAYS carry toilet paper......
Why? There's plenty of leaves around

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
When you go hunting, HUNT. Don't go out in the woods and sit on a stump....Don't climb up in a tree and wait for something to wander past you....HUNT!

I am sitting in a chair and typing this right now....It feels uncomfortable for me to be sitting....I gotta get up...I gotta move....When I get out in the woods, I am sneaking....sometimes crawling....I ain't sitting on my butt.

It may not be the best way to hunt but it works for me. Probably healthier too.....I am 6'4" and normally weigh around 230....At the end of hunting season, though, I'm usually down to around 210 or 215.

I put an awful lot of miles on the old feet during the season. And love every minute of it.

Oh yeah....As RonM said....carry Toilet Paper....Frozen leaves are scratchy.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Learn to detect wind direction. This is the single most important part of big game hunting. Don't be stubborn about a "great spot", and go into it with the wind at your back. Hunt a "lousy spot" with the wind in your face and you will see deer.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
If you hunt with a flintlock be sure to seal the channel formed where the barrel and wood meet, it will funnel moisture into your lock.

I tie a small piece of treated buckskin tightly into the "groove" just on the muzzle side of the lock. Others use wax to seal that area.

Carry alcohol swabs in a sealed container, they are great for cleaning the frizzen when you get oil/dirt in that area.

·
Super Moderator
26,961 Posts
Hunting tip for new hunters, and veteran hunters:

There are game animals to hunt other than deer. Take up small game hunting and have some fun.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Let him go so he can grow.. This being said I've taken many nice whitetails that have a smaller running buddy who always is in the lead.. How many times have you heard the old story .. After I shot this one a giant walked out...

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
For those who carry the little squeeze bottle for checking wind direction, if you ever run out of it use baking powder for a substitute. If i'm sitting in the woods and I forgot my squeeze bottle I pull a piece of thread off my clothes and tie it to either my rifle or bow or even a bush to watch the direction it's blowing.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Joe the Logger said:
Learn to detect wind direction. This is the single most important part of big game hunting. Don't be stubborn about a "great spot", and go into it with the wind at your back. Hunt a "lousy spot" with the wind in your face and you will see deer.
+1...To highly successful hunters, this is not just a tip, but like the first verse of the Bible. Well said.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Don't be afraid to get our youth involved in the sports. Being a young hunter myself (24), I already see the importance of taking out my two nephews.
All the previously mentioned information will be something they will learn I'm sure, as well as picking up a ton on their own as I have through trial and error,

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Carry a Bic lighter to use for wind direction. Flick-the-Bic and watch the way the flame flickers......there ya go.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts