The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was found on my fiancee's cousin's farm in Jaffrey NH.

That's a dinner plate that it's resting on. It's made of iron, with a hollow base and flat blunt edges.

My first instinct was that it was a spear head made by a colonial blacksmith to be traded to Native Americans for furs or something, but the edges being so blunt made me wonder if would have been any good as a spear point, so we thought maybe it was a toy spear point made for a kid on the farm at some point. It's a very old property, with the house dating from the 1700s with horesehair plaster and everything. Anybody ever see anything like it?

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a little too big to be a butter knife or letter opener, and the hollow end where it looks like it attaches to something is really thin. And it wasn't rough so I don't think it was a file.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am thinking it is an anvil knife. Most likely made way before your cousin got there...LOL. Do some filing along the top edge to see if you can identify any hammer marks, do so lightly...and get some magnification at the handle end to see if maybe the piece was folded then heat welded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts