The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not long after jk6140 got his 2018 Iowa buck back, I got a surprise text message from my taxidermist's shop with a pic of my 2018 10-point buck mount. I think he did a great job with a deer that, while not terribly impressive in spread, had excellent antler mass and body size. From the field to the wall, it went from this...

...to this...

He had instructions to make the ears a little asymmetrical, as it seems like every shoulder mount I've owned or even seen has an alert ear pose. It was time for something a little different. Risky, in that could've come out goofy, but I like it as it seems more relaxed and natural. I won't get to see it in person until July or so, but it was great to at least get a look.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Great looking mount!!!!.....Sneak, and semi-sneak mounts look great also....a taxi can pretty much put ears any position you want..which , in my opinion can really make a mount stand out..

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys! It’s good to see that others have gone with a less conventional ear pose. Around these parts, nobody seems to deviate much except turn the head left or right.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
The ears is something Ive never really thought of. It looks great though. Thats an awesome mount and buck. Its gonna be a long wait until July. Congratulations Six!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Much thanks, guys! After a long wait, it's great to see it all come together.

Great looking mount!!!!.....Sneak, and semi-sneak mounts look great also....a taxi can pretty much put ears any position you want..which , in my opinion can really make a mount stand out..
The ears is something Ive never really thought of. It looks great though. Thats an awesome mount and buck. Its gonna be a long wait until July. Congratulations Six!
Subtle stuff like ear position or good facial shaping/bulking on parts of the form that match the original animal can definitely make mounts stand out in a good way. One guy I used in Nevada for my 2014 pronghorn pretty much demanded pics from of the animal immediately after the kill so he could match the facial features. The end result was great.

A lot of the really sad work I had done long ago by one guy in particular didn't even come close to that level of detail. The guy just glued the hide to a form, set the ears alert, stitched it up and off you went. No customization at all - he just wanted to crank them out fast and get paid. I didn't know any better, and it took a while for the poor workmanship to really hit home. These days I shop hard and look at lots of samples when using anyone new. "Cheap" and "quality" work seldom overlap, so if you're going to look at it forever, it doesn't hurt to put up a few extra bucks.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
That's funny, the very first thing I noticed before I even read your post was the ear positioning in the picture. I really like that. It looks relaxed and natural. Super job by your taxidermist!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
20200304_181603.jpg

20200304_181512.jpg

Last one I had done was a left turn full sneak. He set the eyes looking left ever so slightly, with a tiny sliver of white showing. Left eye with that white in the front, right eye with it in the back, just the way a live bucks eyes would be if looking left. Excellent detail that I wouldn't have thought of, but exactly correct when you see it. Mebey it's common practice, but that's the first time iv'e seen it.

Nice buck, nice mount suxgun!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Last one I had done was a left turn full sneak. He set the eyes looking left ever so slightly, with a tiny sliver of white showing. Left eye with that white in the front, right eye with it in the back, just the way a live bucks eyes would be if looking left. Excellent detail that I wouldn't have thought of, but exactly correct when you see it. Mebey it's common practice, but that's the first time iv'e seen it.

Nice buck, nice mount suxgun!
Yellowdog -

That's another sweet variation and it's clear that your taxidermist cared. Very cool, subtle detail that really personalizes the final product.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts