The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to hunt Sat afternoon here even with the rain showers,this upcoming week looks like rougher weather.
I had been starting to see all the pre rut signs,and knew things were about to get very interesting.
Sat from 2:30pm til I shot at 6:02 pm.Had deer around me feeding on acorns all afternoon through the off and on showers.
Had some doe in heat scent out and used the can call and grunt tubes a few times.
Eventually a doe and younge one come by close followed by this buck. He was 20 minutes behind them and followed every step they took.
He stopped 15 yds away broadside to smell the scent I put out.I took my time and double lunged him.
He walked casualy for 60-70 yds stopped then collapseed.
Gueseing 175 live weight 3.5 yr old,not sure about either.
Took him with a Ten Point crossbow Easton alunimum bolts with G-5 Monetec Head.
He was shot in 1B on private land.
I did get a trailcam pic of him but thought he was a half rack until I saw him through the binos in person.
I have never tagged a buck with more than 8 pts before and love nontypical racks-junk is good.
I called him a 10 pt on the tag but he's got 13 pts some shorter than an inch.
Sorry for the long read just wanted to share it here this site has been very helpful and entertaining to me.

Yes I am a Happy PA Hunter

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great Job , nice when You can Photo , Patten and kill a Mature Buck....not easy

Yeah thanks,I fail more than I succeed but always take the time to learn from the experience.
It's a great feeling when it all comes together.
I enjoy archery season alot,its a healthy obsession in my book.

·
Registered
18,567 Posts
Thats a sweet buck. Love the character on that one and he has a huge head. You are to be commended for sitting in those conditions. I would say you were rewarded for your efforts. Congrats.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"I just saw last week where most racks like yours are the result of the skull being damaged near the pedicle."

Is that something they can injure by fighting?
I will have to do some reearch on this subject.

Well now i got get back to work it's catchup time.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"Where do you work, the Heinz plant ? "

I had that coming I guese.
Self employed work in my garage.

Soon be caught up,kinda wondering what this storm will do for Elk Creek and the Steelhead run.....
This time of year there is so much to do!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts