The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a yard sale with the wife yesterday, and noticed a gun barrel poking thru some other stuff. I looked a little closer and found a .50 Lyman Trade rifle. It's a percussion, but figured it might make a nice rifle to carry in the October season. I asked the price, and the guy hesitated, then said $150, and it comes with that "bag of stuff" beside it. Rifle seemed in great shape, and I know the flinter Trade rifle I used to have shot very well. I told him I'd think about it, and we left. I went back 1/2 hr. later and offered him $120 for it, and we settled on $125. The "bag of stuff" included a full can of 2F, a full box of .50 balls, a short starter, a brass flask, pan charger, powder measure, nipple pick, ball puller, all brand new, plus a bag of pre-lubed patches, and a couple un-opened containers of #11 caps. I added up everything, and believed I got roughly $110 worth of accessories in the bag. Almost seemed worth not going fishing.
Anybody have any suggested loads to try once I get her to the range?

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Make <u>SURE</u> that there is not a load in the bore just sitting there waiting for someone to doublecharge the piece.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great advice. Thanks for the reminder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts