The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's hard to imagine how this happens but I'm doing a Waterfowl Season Dates Press Release right here on HPA.
We could call it the GHC (Goose Hunter Commission) instead of a PA Game Commission Press Release.
The details that follow are directly outta the Hunters Digest, that hasn't been released yet.
Pretty Amazing.

·
Registered
870 Posts
So south zone regular duck season comes in on a Tuesday.

I see they went with my recommandation with a long early 1st split in the north zone. That is good because 2nd split Dec. 20-Jan.14 will be froze out,at least all the lakes I hunt. I like the youth days in september, kids will get to shoot teal. And my kid will get to hunt 3 youth days this year,outstanding!

Pretty much a rubber stamp of last years regs, so what the heck took sooo long?

With the north and south zone combined we will be able to hunt ducks for 91 consecutive days.
That is outstanding, not including Sunday of course.

I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Also I see youth hunters are still from 12 thru 15 year olds, they did not go with the federal guideline of 16 YO can hunt youth days. I think that is good.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
BOOTOXEN said:
Boatman said:
FANTASTIC! Wish they all started mid-week
Why? To inhibit participation?

·
Registered
11,979 Posts
Run2Catch said:
BOOTOXEN said:
Boatman said:
FANTASTIC! Wish they all started mid-week
Why? To inhibit participation?
This may be considered selfish by some but I hope it does inhibit participation. I primarily hunt waterfowl so opening day is something I look forward to but opening days are usually a zoo. Guys in orange, guys sky busting, guys setting up 50 yards away.

A midweek start will eliminate the less dedicated hunter.

·
Banned
851 Posts
Weekday starts is what it was for a while if I'm not mistaken. At least in the 90's.

So the waterfowl and migratory seasons and bag limits are going to be in the digest this year, not in a separate pamphlet?

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I can't remember the noon start, that must a been way back. I definitely remember the 3 ducks a day, 30 days total season era, but on the flip side, geese were 3/day for 90 days, but not many people hunted geese then, we didn't have as many as there are now. Sometimes we don't realize how good we have it right now.

Even if we have to wait for the book to come out July 1st, we still get the information a couple months earlier than ever before, not a big deal. Thanks to the "Charlie pressure", i'm sure we will get them right away next season, i'm sure it's not a secret.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Before the Wednesday at Noon start, the season always opened on Columbus Day.
How's that for old?

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With the north and south zone combined we will be able to hunt ducks for 91 consecutive days
This is big, if you happen to live close enough to the North/South Zone, you can hunt ducks from Oct 8th to Jan 21st.
So, if we get a normal migration this year the hunters in that area of the State can't say the season was closed when the ducks came thru.

I've always been envious of the the other Flyways having up to 120 days for duck hunting. This 91 day season takes some of that sting away.

And the Youth Hunt regs need to be re-examined before the seasons begin. As concerned as the PGC is about getting Youth involved in all hunting, not allowing 16 year olds to participate during the Youth Days is a mistake.
I suspect it was an oversight and will be changed before the seasons begin.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Goose, 16 year olds may hunt alone without adult supervision, they are also required to buy a federal waterfowl stamp,they can drive a car
, They are no longer a youth. If four years of youth waterfowl days is not enough,you are not going to hook them. I did NOT get any youth waterfowl days when I was a kid and I doubt you did, and we are hard core waterfowlers. If we were not we would not be posting here in JUNE. When I was 12 I was given a gun and told to sit there, by myself, and someone came back to pick me up at noon.Our society is growing a bunch of sissies,everybody gets a trophy is crap,no child left behind ant helping either,ect. Kids need to be prepared for the real world,not kept under a wing forever. From age 12 thru 15 they get 8 youth days,some that can travel can get 12. I think that is plenty enough to spoil them. Plus they have 91 days this year to choose from.

·
Registered
870 Posts
"This is big, if you happen to live close enough to the North/South Zone, you can hunt ducks from Oct 8th to Jan 21st.
So, if we get a normal migration this year the hunters in that area of the State can't say the season was closed when the ducks came thru.

I've always been envious of the the other Flyways having up to 120 days for duck hunting. This 91 day season takes some of that sting away."

Yes and SRWA wanted to take that away. I have a camp in the NE and chase ducks from oct 8th right on through jan. With out it we could miss a portion of the migration! I have seen it freeze out up there mid nov.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup, I understand both sides of the Youth hunting thing.
But this is an important part of the overall Youth hunts. The PGC is making decisions based on what the rest of the States are doing.

After receiving the seasons from Mr. Travis Lau, I emailed him back asking if there was a reason for not including 16 year old's in the Youth hunts?
Never heard back from Mr. Lau, which makes me think the PGC is working on it and the rules might change.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I do kinda agree with you because they have a youth hunt for 12-16 year olds for:

Youth squirrel hunt
Junior pheasant hunt
Junior bear hunt
Junior deer hunt
Youth turkey hunt

But when it comes to waterfowl it's 12-15 year olds.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts