The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started using wind movable geese like Alpha Wobble Hogdon goose decoys. I was set up this morning and several flocks committed but didn't finish. If the geese set too high above the ground, do they cause geese to flare. I know it's late in the season and anything fishy will flare geese. Just wondering if geese on stakes could be a cause.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It could be anything really. Maybe it's the decoys, maybe its the entire spread, maybe it's your blinds, maybe they don't like the calling.

If we knew the answers for every flock of geese that didn't finish, we'd all be better off but that fact is we don't.

All I can say is pay attention to every detail, no matter how small, and try again.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If the birds are flaring im saying its your hide... Stubble up better and try again... If not its your calling... Use goose rhythm mellow when there far and faster clucks as they approach

·
Registered
278 Posts
Its probably not your spread if there locking up from far away they probably do like how ur spread looked and i don't believe the high stakes matter because there looking straight down from above for the most part... Keep ur spread the way it is just put all the effort u can into your hide

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input. As a side note - the geese left their roost right after legal shooting hours. Nothing like having geese all over the place as you gather your decoys. lol

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Ussally its your hide...corn you hides up..and maybe even change your set alittle..as small as putting some walkersin your backside set...like they just landed..this time of the year there alot eyes..ussally when they lock up high..their looking you over pretty good...

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
How much space do you leave between dekes? I've seen a spread that's too tight cause birds to hang (that's what she said).

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4 - 5 ft between decoys. I usually have 2 -3 groups with enough space for birds to land. I'm using about 3 dozen decoys when I hunt by myself. Bigfoots, Higdon shells , goose magnants. Add silouettes when cloudy .

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I'm hunting with one other guy tomorrow..I'll have about 60 full bodies out and i throw in one doz shells for resters..but they'll be 3 to 5 ft away from each other..and my fields not really setup for the NE wind we're having tomorrow..so i'll set the ground blinds on the west side of the spread and hit'em broadside when they put their feet down..and comming in..Honkers41

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
missedshot said:
4 - 5 ft between decoys. I usually have 2 -3 groups with enough space for birds to land. I'm using about 3 dozen decoys when I hunt by myself. Bigfoots, Higdon shells , goose magnants. Add silouettes when cloudy .
Goose magnants (magnets)??? Those kite looking things? That could be your problem.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Agreed... Goose magnets id scratch... And unless ur on the x id aim to get more decoys ya need decoy numbers to suck in the big groups unless ur on the x just my opinion though

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The magnets worked very well in the Nov. season. Added some movement. I'll try not using them and use my Higdon Flapper for some realism.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Loose the magnets and the flapper and just try a few flags out of the blinds. If I had too, I'd pick my flags over my calls anyday.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What do u do to get motion in the decoys for the last 100 yds?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
A flag...if you even need it when they're that close. You don't need constant motion in a Canada spread as it is. I only run the flag and only in quick flips if they're inside about 200 yards and start to slide off track. As for the goose flappers? Lose those things fast. Nothing but a gimick. I used to own a set of three and I only ran them for a short time as every single time I did, they flared the heck out of the birds.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I flag but stop when they are that close. Don't want to give away my hide.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I personally think motion is overrated when hunting geese. Flag birds on the corners & at a distance, but other than that, I don't think geese need the motion. How many birds have been killed over Big Foots, Silos & Tires. I think decoy manufacturers sell hunters on the need for realistic motion decoys.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I agree with jguns. I don't think you need any motion what so ever to kill geese and a lot of geese at that. I think too much motion starts to look un-natural.

I think a nice blend of FB's with motion bases and flags is more than what you need.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Agree with most, lose the magnets or flyers for Canada's. Flag at a distance to get their attention, and just see what happens, flag again if they are losing interest.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts