The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im trying to get better at goose calling but my calling just sounds terrible. im using a tim grounds super mag in polycarbonate and im getting very frustrated. i am willing to buy a better call what would you guys suggest.
thanks

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
How long have you been "practicing"?

Tim Grounds are good calls, guy. I find them to be "more resistant" to blow, meaning to take more air to make them work, but that is only my opinion. The one guy I hunt with uses a TG goose call and it sounds "real".
Myself, I use Foiles calls (started on a Meat Grinder polycarb and now use a Strait Meat Honker acrylic). I also use a Southern Game Call - Poison in Cocobola, a warmer sound than my Foiles.

I wouldn't run out and buy another call. I'd say .... keep blowing it and keep practicing. Get yourself a CD to play in your car/truck and listen to it over and over again. This spring/summer go to parks where geese congregrate and listen to them and try to mimic their various sounds.

We use to have some waterfowl stores around here and they would off Sunday afternoon calling seminars. They really help get you going. If you don't have any places like that ask on here to see if any of the more seasoned guys live close to you. When I started several of the guys on HPA offered to help out.

Keep at it guy, ........ it'll happen.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Two words... Bad Grammer! Without a doubt the best instructional dvd out there. Scott Threinen is a great teacher. I tried TONS of other dvds when I was in your shoes, Bad Grammer was the only one that worked.

And I will second what some others have said about not buying a new call just yet, and PRACTICE, over and over and over. (I would have someone you know that is a good caller run the call you have to make sure it is tuned decent and so you can see that it can sound good if blown properly.)

Then, after you get better at calling and want a new call....Buy a Zink!

·
Banned
208 Posts
X2 on bad grammer. Don't get carried away on the advanced technique stuff though, remember your not trying to win a calling contest, and you gotta walk before you can run. My first short Reed was a supermag, and I liked it a lot. Definitely easier, less pitchy, and more forgiving than any zink.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just watched this video and followed all the steps and everything. i think the problem is a mix between me and the call, you have to put so much air through this call to make any sort of sound. does anyone else have the same problems with this call?

·
Registered
19 Posts
usually any call will work,keep at it.I started on a big river 8yrs. ago.I decided on a sky.Depends on your budget also.Some calls are easier to break the reed.

·
Banned
208 Posts
At 80$ they're gonna be poly. Remember, most of the tone and response in your call is controlled by your hands. Create more back pressure, and the call will be more responsive. I'm not trying to act like a pro caller on you. Personally I find the straight meat calls require more air than TG, but I do like the sound of them. I put a set of worn in straight meat guts in my moneymaker, and made a world of difference. Do yourself a favor and go to cabelas, and blow on some different calls. Who cares how bad it sounds, because once you bought it, there's no returns.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would make sure your call is tuned correctly before you go buy a new one. If there is someone near you that is a decent caller, ask them to tune it for you. Might just need a small adjustment and it will make a world of difference.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm in the same situation. I have always blown a flute which requires no back pressure to make the basic honk. I bought a money maker and cannot get it going. I went to Kentucky hunting and a good caller tuned it for me. After coming home I felt like it just didn't sound right anymore. Now im stuck with an out of tune Money Maker. I have tried to tune it a few times but doesn't help when I really can't blow it. I don't know anyone near me that can tune. Does anyone on here like the money maker? I think the large bell is making it tougher. Was thinking of selling the money maker and getting the tim grounds g overhauler. Whats your thoughts?

·
Banned
208 Posts
Greenhead- Honestly, I hated my moneymaker, and still dont love it. Think I've had it four seasons now, and am still learning new tones every time I use it. I made a custom acrylic, put foiles guts in it, and lost it off my lanyard last year. So its now my primary call instead of a backup. The best thing I ever did was bought 20$ worn in straight meat guts for it. World of difference. You really, really, have to constrict the air coming out of the MM's bell, and once you get the feeling there's a lot you can do with it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Seems to me your wanting quick results in your goose calling. Well not many people learn over night. If you want to get good or decent, you need to practice. When you think you practiced enough,prqctice some more! Trust me there is nothing wrong with your grounds call.that call won me plenty of money at contests. If you can learn to blow a call that takes alot of pressure then you will always be way farther ahead when/if you wanna try and learn fancy stuff. If your parents/wife arent complaining about you calling to much yet then you haven't practiced enough.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The $80 calls on that link you posted are not poly, they're acryllic.. They're just discontinuing those colors and closing them out.. That's a steal at that price, you couldn't find one used for that cheap.. The SMH is a fairly easy call to learn on.. I had a meatgrinder early on and ended up getting a SMH and it was so much easier to blow IMO..

·
Registered
72 Posts
lwrsusq said:
The $80 calls on that link you posted are not poly, they're acryllic.. They're just discontinuing those colors and closing them out.. That's a steal at that price, you couldn't find one used for that cheap.. The SMH is a fairly easy call to learn on.. I had a meatgrinder early on and ended up getting a SMH and it was so much easier to blow IMO..
That's correct with FMI. I also learned on a Meatgrinder and upgraded to a SMH and have since added several FMI and TG among others. As mentioned previously the best thing to do is go somewhere so you can try a few different calls, find what best suits your calling. Also, practice a ton!!!

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
just keep that call with you and practice. keep it in your truck and run it driving to and from work, its also a hoot watching everyone at red lights looking up out of their windows looking for a goose. you'll get the hang of it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a meatgrinder that Ill give ya, if I can find it....LOL Beat to [censored], scratched up, but has no chips and works fine. Let me know if your interested, and Ill try and round it up. Stick with it, Im still learning too, and yes, its NOT as easy as most people make it look. Just keep blowing.......LOL

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I use a TG triple crown and agree that the Grounds calls take a lot more air to use but they do sound very realistic to me. As far as easy to use calls I would vote for the SMH and Goey judge. I've had both of those on my lanyard at one time or another and have to say that mine were almost the same to blow as far as ease of use and sounded almost identical so you can't go wrong with either. I did like how the Goey screwed together instead of using ) rings though. Unfortunately, everyone's different and these are my personal findings so I would still suggest blowing a few if you're able to.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts