The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what to look for when scouting an area on Google earth for good grouse cover? I would assume that you don't want to heavy of a canopy because that would represent mature trees. I have been looking to go up to the anf and I live about two to three hours away. I want to get a good idea where to go. I don't want to get up there thinking I have a spot then waist the gas because I didn't scout correctly.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,979 Posts
You really don't scout with a map, you get an idea of where to scout. If you haven't visited an area on foot and it is poor, it is your fault.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,620 Posts
Pghbirdhunter said:
Does anybody know what to look for when scouting an area on Google earth for good grouse cover? I would assume that you don't want to heavy of a canopy because that would represent mature trees. I have been looking to go up to the anf and I live about two to three hours away. I want to get a good idea where to go. I don't want to get up there thinking I have a spot then waist the gas because I didn't scout correctly.

The ONLY way to find grouse is with shoe leather! Drive the roads and then start walking
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,528 Posts
John S said:
You really don't scout with a map, you get an idea of where to scout. If you haven't visited an area on foot and it is poor, it is your fault.
I you have visited it and it's poor is it still your fault???

Google earth is way to start when you don't live close by. Pick an are that appears different and move back in the timeline.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
Clearfield12 said:
Pghbirdhunter said:
Does anybody know what to look for when scouting an area on Google earth for good grouse cover? I would assume that you don't want to heavy of a canopy because that would represent mature trees. I have been looking to go up to the anf and I live about two to three hours away. I want to get a good idea where to go. I don't want to get up there thinking I have a spot then waist the gas because I didn't scout correctly.

The ONLY way to find grouse is with shoe leather! Drive the roads and then start walking
Not everyone subscribes to that theory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
One problem with Google Earth is that the satellite pics may have been done within a few years. If I checked out my house, the shot was taken 4-5 years ago. After that shot, they added a 300 acre solar farm on my favorite rabbit spot. I believe it helps as a tool but it won't replace boots on the ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,620 Posts
I'd say a better way for you to start scouting would be to contact your area state forest office and find out where the enclosures used to be or still are....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Clearfield12 said:
I'd say a better way for you to start scouting would be to contact your area state forest office and find out where the enclosures used to be or still are....
What do you mean by enclosures?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,979 Posts
Actually, they are exclosures. Fencing to keep deer out of an area to allow regeneration of trees.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,620 Posts
I typed exclosure on my ipad but it didn't take I guess.

The exclosure are fenced in areas on state forest ground meant to try to keep deer out so that forestors could check the amount of regeneration inside compared to outside. They are very thick for the most part and in my area grouse have gravitated to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Google Earth has a slide bar which will give you the image of the location you are viewing based on different timeframes....when finding an area you wish to investigate ( I often find the locations via the DCNR Maps logging maps) and then view them on GE...ArcGIS would be optimal, but is a much more expensive program.....The PGC has a simplified version available as their new mapping software.

-John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
I've used Google for years to locate POSSIBLE grouse spots.
The clearcuts are visible. But upon scouting on ground, birds are not always present.
Still, it is a good beginning.

The ANF website shows these clearcuts on their website.
A map is shown. labeled, EARLY SUCCESSIONAL HABITAT.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top