The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The boy and I got into the black trumpets pretty heavy Saturday. We found several nice patches and almost filled an onion bag. Then, yesterday. I picked close to 40 pounds of hens. The pic is just one of the trees I found. There were two more large hens on the backside of this tree making a total of 8 growing around it. I found a couple of little ones I'm hoping will survive the next couple of days of heat. I got a bunch of mushrooms cleaned and frozen yesterday. I also made a huge pot of cream of mushroom soup for the gal for her birthday.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have easily become one of my favorite wild mushrooms. The flavor is unbelievable.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Where do you guys usually find the black trumpets? I find tons of hens, chickens, and honeys. But I never come across the black trumpets. Is there a specific location I should be looking for swamp, hardwoods, orchard etc etc. Any info would be great.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where do you guys usually find the black trumpets? I find tons of hens, chickens, and honeys. But I never come across the black trumpets. Is there a specific location I should be looking for swamp, hardwoods, orchard etc etc. Any info would be great.

Trumpets are more of a summer mushroom so when we found them when we did it was a bit of surprise. But, it had been pretty warm and rainy. They grow around oaks in areas of low leaf litter and moss. The first ones we found were growing on the edge of a logging road. The several big patches we found were around open forest ground around oaks. They are related to chanterelles and grow similarly to them, individually and in small clumps. They are fantastic tasting. One of my favorites.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts