The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was after the turkeys this AM, no luck, back out again later on. But came across mamma grouse and a bunch of chicks. Pretty cool the way mom acts wounded to draw you away from the chicks. Hope they make it.

·
Super Moderator
13,656 Posts
Was after the turkeys this AM, no luck, back out again later on. But came across mamma grouse and a bunch of chicks. Pretty cool the way mom acts wounded to draw you away from the chicks. Hope they make it.
I too had a grouse doing the broken wing act this morning. The buckthorn was so thick I couldn't see the chicks but I could tell by her broken wing act she had some. The ferns and grass were wet so I just hustled out of there so she could get back with them to brood them when necessary.

Good to know they are hatching some. Now if they can survive west nile this summer.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
never saw grouse chicks. But have seen pheasant chicks , turkey chicks , and duck and goose young ones. Hope they survive to have young chicks of their own.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually hunting turkeys the same area a few days ago and saw a small raccoon about a hundred yards from where the chicks were. Don't see them out much during the day usually. Hope he doesn't find them. Lots of predators on top of west nile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts