The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With things slowing down a little bit I figured I would reflect back on what was one of my favorite hunting seasons to date. Aside from a successful deer season, this is the first year I really got to enjoy chasing some of the other game PA has to offer besides deer and turkey.

There were a lot of weekends spent with great friends and my new favorite hunting buddy Wesson. He may not be a perfect bird dog but the time I spent with him in the field was some of the most memorable. He definitely put up a lot of birds we never would have even seen without him and would always go where none of us were willing to walk. Sure we left a few out there but that just gave us some for the next hunt.

Here are a few pictures reflecting back on the awesome season we had, I just wish I remembered to take more

First bird of the year

A few other random shots through the season

And probably my favorite hunt of the year, I call it the brother hunt. I got to hit the field with my brother and Wesson got to head out with his brother. Smith and Wesson with their trophies

We decided to head out after some geese for the first time. Even though we aren't stacking up a ton of birds, we are slowly learning for next year and quickly becoming addicted.

And now the look I get when he is bored and wants to go hunting

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

2 weekends left... your post is depressing...jk.
He's got a nice head on em eh?
Nice pics!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha yeah I got plans Saturday but I'm hoping to get him out Monday and hopefully next weekend.

He does have a melon of a head, you wouldn't believe how many people comment on it when they see him

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I never realized Bull Mastiffs were hunting dogs.

That dog has quite the punkin head!

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Nice post!

"He may not be a perfect bird dog but the time I spent with him in the field was some of the most memorable."

There is no PERFECT bird dog. As long as you are happy at the end of your hunts is all that matters.

He is a tank. for sure, I thought Lilly was big at 80 pounds, He is definetly more English line that my Lilly is.

Great job, and good luck with you ventures.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They say those English labs are stocky and blocky and boy is that the truth. He is right at 90 lbs but runs around like he is 70...I was more then happy at the end of every hunt, each time he amazed me more then the last.

I remember one tough day as soon as we got out of the truck he had his nose in the air and wanted to go on the other side of the road. It's not the side I usually hunt due to very limited cover and I doubted him and did our usual routine. I think we only put up 1 bird and got back to to the vehicle a little discouraged. As soon as we show up his nose is back up in the air and he is whining begging to cross the road. Figuring there is nothing to lose I told my buddy we might as well give it a shot, it would only take 15 minutes to hit a little strip of cover....we limited out in 5 minutes. That's the last time I doubted his nose

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Great pics, I really enjoyed looking at them.

You guys had a fun season!

From one lab guy to another, that is a good looking dog.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I never saw those shell tubes on your hunting vest before. I like that idea! How many times have I been trying to get shells out of my pockets while birds are flying away. This looks like a quick method to reload.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Really enjoyed your pictures.
Something for you to remember this summer.

With a dog that big, I'd suggest you purchase a "road" harness with 6' leads and a toboggan type of sled with lots of bungee cords.

Load your goose dekes and blinds on the sled, bungee everything down, attach a lease to Wesson, connect the leads and bingo, he'll pull everything for you.

The nice thing about doing this with a working dog: they will be a little calmer when you're ready to start goose hunting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The shell tubes are pretty handy when you are fumbling around trying to reload. At first they were pretty stiff and tough to pull the shells through with gloves on but they broke in nicely.

I never thought of the sled idea, I will have to remember that one for next year. Even if he pulls in just the dekes, it will help out a bunch. Plus it will knock some snot out of him like you said

1 - 16 of 16 Posts