The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow. what a weekend. I went down to my dads place to get together and do some shooting with him. All was well as we got to the range anxious to shoot our new guns that we topped of with 3 nikons and 1 leupold. We started shooting and the leupold only lasted 3 shots before it completely went fuzzy and you couldn't see out of it. next came the nikons. 2 lasted 5 shots and the final one lasted a wopping 11 shots all with the same problem as the leupold. granted the guns were 2 300 win mags, a 7mm mag but a 30-06 blew a scope out? I mean I have a tasco on one of my guns that is still going strong after 16 years and it's still going strong. another $30.00 tasco has lasted 6 years with no issues. I'm begining to wonder if it's worth buying "good" glass these days when the cheapos are outlasting the "good" expensive ones.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
something somewhere is wrong dont know what yet. but something does not seem right. the guns you mentioned are mild compare to what i shoot. only thing i can think of u are shooting the low end nikons, and leupold, cause i have alot of vari x 3s and top nikons, and they are on 338s, 416 rems, 460 weatherbys. for years and hundreds of shots and never ever once have i had a problem . i can see maybe nikons, but i just dont know what to tell you, i have 4200 series busnells scopes also and i put them up aganist some of the best glass in the $550 dollar range.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
uncysid said:
Wow. what a weekend. I went down to my dads place to get together and do some shooting with him. All was well as we got to the range anxious to shoot our new guns that we topped of with 3 nikons and 1 leupold. We started shooting and the leupold only lasted 3 shots before it completely went fuzzy and you couldn't see out of it. next came the nikons. 2 lasted 5 shots and the final one lasted a wopping 11 shots all with the same problem as the leupold. granted the guns were 2 300 win mags, a 7mm mag but a 30-06 blew a scope out? I mean I have a tasco on one of my guns that is still going strong after 16 years and it's still going strong. another $30.00 tasco has lasted 6 years with no issues. I'm begining to wonder if it's worth buying "good" glass these days when the cheapos are outlasting the "good" expensive ones.

I've seen and had the .30-06 take care of several scopes before. My Husqvarna has wiped out it's Leupold M8 twice now. The most recent being this past hunting season.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
dont know what to say moosehunter, are these newer model year scopes. i would say all my scopes are around 1993 to about 2000, the ones on the big guns, maybe they were built much better then dont know. all i know is i would be one angry person if a 06 was breaking my scopes. i did see at least 4 different burris scopes all on different guns. from the middle 90s come apart real fast from guns of 22/250 to 340 weatherby.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I cannot see 4 top quality scopes on 4 different rifles all breaking with the same problem.Maybe there is an environmental problem involved here.

·
Registered
889 Posts
And that is the beauty of the Leupold. Send it back and you will soon be in business after they fix it or send you a new one. Try that with an old Nikon or Tasco. Then you will see why Leupold is one of the best choices. Tom.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Well, this "Pro" has two questions.

One, did the brass clear the turrets?
and two, how was the ring alignment before the scopes were mounted?

Bill

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I lapped the rings before mounting and yes the brass cleared the turrets. scopes were a leupold vxIII, nikon buckmaster, and 2 prostaffs.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
burk313 said:
I cannot see 4 top quality scopes on 4 different rifles all breaking with the same problem.Maybe there is an environmental problem involved here.
I don't believe it myself......Four scopes?...All during the same shooting event?.......Baaaah!

·
Registered
8,561 Posts
Improper torque on rings?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts