The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Lack of posts on thread shows obvious disagreement on "Greatest cartridge".....Put up a link to the 270 and Rooster will be buying more bandwidth!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Big Ken said:
Lack of posts on thread shows obvious disagreement on "Greatest cartridge".....Put up a link to the 270 and Rooster will be buying more bandwidth!
Yeah, what's with John Whatshisname's comment ...

For many years I'd taken more big game animals with the .30-06 than any other cartridge, though recently the .270 Winchester edged it out slightly.
.......a spiritual awakening maybe!

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
Maybe he's had him some sort of epiphany?

I've never owned anything chambered in 270 Win. Are they any good?

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
DennyF said:
Maybe he's had him some sort of epiphany?

I've never owned anything chambered in 270 Win. Are they any good?

There ok. I had one for awhile sold it though cause my 30-06 kept beating it up cause it knew it was better.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Big Ken said:
Big Ken, if the 270 is such a great and wonderful and awesome and magical cartridge how come it was never used as a military cartridge?

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
Um, probably because it is but one of many "derivatives" of that great military cartridge?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Let's see, the .270 is derived from the 06 and the .243 from the .308, guess you could call them children and maybe some day they will grow up.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Yea, but why send a child to do the parents job.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Jack Oconner used it religiously (270) on everthing up to grizz. Ive shot deer , moose & goat with one. Its a toss up between the 30-06 & 270.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rflktrman said:
Let's see, the .270 is derived from the 06 and the .243 from the .308, guess you could call them children and maybe some day they will grow up.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Big Ken said:

I didn't establish the pecking order that put the .30-06 at the top of the hill but I do enforce it.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Stoogey said:
Big Ken, if the 270 is such a great and wonderful and awesome and magical cartridge how come it was never used as a military cartridge?
I had to go to the Encyclopedia for this: "The Geneva Convention banned such a destructive and quick killing round as the 270 as "INHUMANE" ...

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
rflktrman said:
I prefer to think of the 270 as a "refined 30-06"..Why else would they have HAD to develope it? Probably some gunsmith who was sick of tracking wounded game, or some guide, sick of having his clients getting mauled by irate, wounded bears, or dealing with the "football-like" trajectory of the 30-06. Hence, a real need was born for a cartridge which would eliminate the above caveats inherent to the 30/06.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts