The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy my first ATV and came across somebody local selling their 2010 Sportsman 550 XP. It has 200 hours and 1378 miles on it. It comes with a Polaris winch & plow. The fender is cracked and he said he's been having problems with the winch. He's asking $4,000 obo. What do you think? As I'm new to owning a quad, how can I tell if the quad has been well maintained? The cracked fender was done loading the quad into a truck so he says. What could the problem be with winch?

I really need the quad to plow snow and will use it occasionally to hunt. I was hoping to buy a Honda for their reliability, but I've read a lot of good things about this quad. I really want this to last though as I plan on keeping it a long time.

I'd appreciate any input.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
You can buy the same machine used with none of those issues for 4 grand. You can buy a brand new leftover right now for 5 grand. I would not pay that price for that quad, MHO.

·
Registered
21,571 Posts
Winch might only be the switch. Mine didn't work right until a buddy cleaned up the switch. Flawless since and didn't cost me a thing.

·
Registered
21,571 Posts
You can fix the crack with that fiberglass stuff that you use to fill holes in car body parts. The kind where you mix the two liquids and dip the cloth in the mixture, then put the wet cloth over the crack. Looks terrible, but it will probably be stronger thatn the fender was originally.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Joe the Logger got it correct. Pass on 4K, or make an offer for 500 less

·
Registered
21,317 Posts
I wouldn't even pay 3k for it.That thing has been used pretty hard if it has over 1300 miles on it.Add to it the fact that it was used for plowing and you'll be sinking money into it.

I know it's a chevy ford thing but I wouldn't by a polaris.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After doing some research, I think the price is high as well. Especially after I found brand new 2013 Sportsman 500 H.O.'s for $5400 out the door or $6700 with the plow and winch. Some people asking more for used ones!

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Hustle around the Polaris dealers and you will see that $5400 drop. They have a delivery and set up fee that they can waive if they think you are walking out to a competitor. Its almost like buying a car, but more fun! Also, a 2013 model is much better than a 2010.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called 4 dealers today for an OTD price on a 2013 Sportsman 500 HO

1. $5452
2. $5900
3. $6246
$. $6299

When I mentioned the cheaper price, the other 3 said they would buy from there! Surprising.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Must not be hungry ? Try going outside your home range a little, you might do better. Still in all, 5400 is a deal for that quad new. If you want the plow, try making that part of the price too.

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Joe the Logger said:
Must not be hungry ? Try going outside your home range a little, you might do better. Still in all, 5400 is a deal for that quad new. If you want the plow, try making that part of the price too.
They are advertised in our local paper for $4999. I think Joe is right.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Thanks Kudu ! You can buy a truckload of them here for 5 g a piece. The Artic Cat dealer here really goes at the Polaris dealers, some great deals are offered on those machines also.

·
Registered
590 Posts
There is no comparison between a 550 xp and a 500 HO. That is a decent price for an XP. I would still offer less. If not pass the info to me and I know several guys looking for a similar bike

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
I seen a 2013 Sporstman 500 HO today for $4995 with no extra fees,just tax and title extra.It is a dealer in Canonsburg and they also have a store in Murrysville.I don,t know if were allowed to mention names if they are not a spnsor here.P.M.me if you want a phone#.

·
Registered
871 Posts
5K for a new 500 4wd in any of the "big name brands" is a steal

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
That $4999 is for the 500 HO. The 550 xp is a totally different machine newer technology. But for what you are looking to do, the 500 HO new would be the better buy!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Agree. The 500 HO is the best value out there. The 400 is even less an is actually a 455cc motor and it is $500 less. If you dont need the newest design this is the way to go.

·
Registered
9,684 Posts
They seem to get special deals on the 500,s cause when I bought mine in 2010 it was cheaper than the 400,s.The same dealer I was talkin about also has a chain driven 2WD 330 Polaris new 2013 for $3500.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts