The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if this powder is good? and if its 20+ years old would it still work? should i get new? i could use some help.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Looks like my original can from 1980 that I still use every year. Takes a long time to use up a pound (7000 gr.)of 4F at 2-3 gr. per shot.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
goex, made in moosic Pa... belin plant...18507... cant say how old? havent hunted with a muzzleloader since the early 80s

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Should be fine as long as the lid was on tight.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys!..........it seems dry to me not clumpy ......just dont want my first round down my hawkens to be a missfire. that wouldnt be funny at all! got enough ff and fff for all summer. .... time to get shooting soon! might have to take my snowblower to the range... just to shoot!!!

·
Registered
12,854 Posts
I ran out of my last can of Moosic,PA Goex in 2008. They were the classic cans. At least Goex is still in metal cans though

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I have a couple cans of Goex that looks like that, but have no idea how old it is. It still goes off good. The price tag is still on it and says $4.99 a pound.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
tundragriz said:
Looks like my original can from 1980 that I still use every year. Takes a long time to use up a pound (7000 gr.)of 4F at 2-3 gr. per shot.
Yeah, I bought my ML in 1984, and it is also on the first can of 4F. Will probably never require a second can.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
One of the cans I inherited w/ Dad's Renegade still says DuPont so it was older when he bought it as the rest say Goex.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
WOW----I have 3 full cans I bought that look like taht---Ive used one an dit works fine---than I bought 25 pounds new this year. Might save the other 3 for the kids college fund!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I have black powder from 1849 and it still works---it will be fine unless it is wet--if so then dump it out to air dry in a cool dry place.

·
Registered
561 Posts
When mine got lumpy I just shook the can, let the top off, put it in a ziplock bag with some of the water asorb packets for 2 weeks, Its still good about 15 years old. I also store mine in an ammo can with the bags in it now.
Hope this helps someone.
Stant

1 - 18 of 18 Posts