The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for something thats max 800g and waterproof. These will be used for hunting both here in PA and Elk hunting next year in CO so Im looking for something that is comfortable and lightweight. I know this makes things difficult but I dont want to break the bank either. Whats everyones thoughts on a decent boot $150 and below?

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
yikes that is a tall ask at that price. Quality boots normally will cost you at least $250. I typically recommend Lowa for just about anything but they will break the bank. I did get a pair of Meindl Alaskan Hunters in Cabelas after xmas sale last year. They are typically $360 and I think I got them for $190. They are 200g and a very nice mountain hiking boot. So, I guess my recommendation is to keep an eye out for finding a good quality boot on sale

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you want to stay under $150, take a look at Cabela's "Iron Ridge" hunting boots. They're Gore-tex, and I think pretty decent boots for the money.

·
Registered
182 Posts
depends on your hunting, for work i've been wearing keen boots and wore them straight through the winter last year with a different wool sock on the cold days (outside on concrete) only broke out my 1000gram thinsulate boots a few times.

for a more strenuous hike I like a bit more support of my asolo boots but they come with a bit more weight.

try on a bunch of different boots to see what you like then search amazon and sierra trading post for deals

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
Little Bear said:
If you want to stay under $150, take a look at Cabela's "Iron Ridge" hunting boots. They're Gore-tex, and I think pretty decent boots for the money.
These. I still have mine after 10 years of hunting. All leather and 800mg thinsulate and goretex. They are little on the heavier side, but not bad.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Little Bear said:
The Iron Ridge get my vote too.Great boot for the money.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Lowa,Zamberlan,and meindl if you want quality boots.Kennetreks are also another one to consider.All of these will put a dent in your wallet,but are well worth the price tag.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Good boots aren't cheap....

But, of you hunt a fair bit, they are worth the price IMO.

I used to buy 100-150$ boots.. usually within a couple hunts they weren't waterproof anymore..and by the end of the season they were trash.

I have a pair of Danners on my feet as I type...I forget what model..they were rough out leather..I oiled the snot out of them..no leaks, no issues at all. I have a full year on them now..and I wear them pretty regularly..I run the coon dog year round and I put a few miles on chasing deer, bear and turkey every year...

I have another pair of Danners I wear daily at work..

And I have a pair of Whites which after 10 years of pretty hard use I need to send in to have rebuilt.

The whites changed my look on boots.. expensive...but if you are on your feet all day and in terms of hunting, hiking etc good boots make it all more enjoyable..sore legs and back etc often start from your feet...

·
Registered
114 Posts
What boots do you wear?

What boots do you guys like for stomping through the brush, I wore a pare of muck boots out in less than a year , I wear an old pair of danner gtx boots for places that aren't too swampy and they work great, just curious what other guys like and what lasts.

·
Super Moderator
13,658 Posts
Re: What boots do you wear?

I just got a new pair of light weight L.L. Bean water proof hiking boots with BOA closure that I am wearing for the early seasons and upland bird hunting. A friend has had a pair for years and loves them. I have since seen what looks like the same boot in Cabela's though for a good bit less money. Not sure if the lifetime guarantee is the same at both places though.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
19,601 Posts

R. S. B. said:
L.L. Bean water proof hiking boots with BOA closure that I am wearing for the early seasons and upland bird hunting. A friend has had a pair for years and loves them. I have since seen what looks like the same boot in Cabela's though for a good bit less money. Not sure if the lifetime guarantee is the same at both places though.

Dick Bodenhorn
I picked up a pair of the ones from Cabela's and they are going into their 3rd season. I have walked through water with them and your feet will not get wet unless the water goes over the top of the boot. Very comfortable and durable.
For bear and deer season I still use the old fashioned Timberland 8" classics. Want a little extra ankle support and something for protection from a snake strike.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts

I wear muck boots (the legitimate brand name). Hot, cold, wet, dry, on upland or in swamps I'm always wearing the same boot.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts

I have a few pairs of boots, depending on what I'm doing. I despise most rubber boots.

I have Cabela's Meindl Perfekt 400gr 8" boots as my "do all". Most of my hunting sees me in these.

For warmer weather hunts in turkey season and bow season, I use an older pair of Cabela's "Silent Stalker" boots...kinda a sneaker feel to them, easier to be quiet, and lighter weight. Mushy support and I don't like them for that reason, but if I need light/quiet, that's what I use.

For late season hunts, I use either a pair of ScentBlocker "Brotherhood" rubber insulated knee boots that are actually somewhat warm and somewhat comfortable, or Cabela's 2000g boots when it's real cold.

I all my boots that aren't rubber have Gore-Tex. None leak.

For hiking/upland hunting, I usually use my Asolo hikers. Also Gore-Tex.

I've long ago learned that good boots mean a lot to being out there more and longer.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts

I picked up a pair of Filson boots 3 years back. OMG, the best pair of boots I've ever owned. Not waterproof, so the Mucks get pulled out from time to time. I get so much grief for buying boots that cost $400, but it's worth every penny to me when I can hunt all day tromping around the hills of Warren Co and not be sore... Well, except for the miles I walked.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts

Just read your post again. For "waterproof" boots there is nothing out there that will last worth a darn. My family owns property that is very wet. I've tried everything from rubber to Goretex to Muck. 2 years maybe is all I get out of anything before they start to leak. I just keep an eye out for the Muck Chore boots to go on sale. Can usually pick them up around $80-90.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts