The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to everyone for the tardiness of this post. This hunt took place on Sunday evening but being busy with the holiday and work I havent had a chance to post about it.

I met John1951 at around 9:00 PM sunday evening to hunt a few stands and see what I could learn from him about calling. It was looking to be a great night with all the conditions in our favor. It was very clear with a calm steady wind and low tempuratures, besides a little excess brightness from the moon we had almost everything one could ask for.

We made our way to the first stand and called with the the Fox Pro for about 15 minutes but no eyes were seen. We moved quietly about 100 yds into the neighboring feild. We sat quietly for a few minutes to let the comotion cool down. We began calling again with the FoxPro. About 10 minutes in we had eyes to the far right. John Immediately signaled for me to mute the caller and I did just that. John began lip squeaking to bring a nice shy red into about the 50 yard mark. With my gun facing the worng direction, I very carefully made the move to get my gun light on and the fox in my scope. I then waited for johns command to "take em". I am ashamed to say that I shot and missed and even more ashamed to say that I shot 5 rounds through my .17hmr earlier that day and made a more than satisfying group at 50 yds. But John was understanding that it happens and decided we would talk to some coyotes instead, he howeled and immediately had a response from nearby. That was very exciting especially when howels started comming from all directions. We waited for a few more minutes then snuck out quietly.

We moved to another farm and had some action there as well but nothing ended up in the truck. We moved again to another farm for one more stand I believe it was about 11:30 by now. We snuck into an nice open grassy feild and setup in the shadows along the woods edge. We called again using the Fox Pro Spitfire. Sat for about 10 mins calling moderate volume and switched calls and sat for a little longer. No eyes yet but John was confident in this spot so we sat quiet for a few minutes. We were now about 20+ minutes into the stand and John was connenting on how he was surprised nothing showed up yet as all the factors were in our favor and he was sure there were fox in the area. As a finishing touch Johm let out a few enthusiastic rabbit squeals from a neat handmade mouth call he had showed me earlier in the night. We sat silent for about another 3 minutes. Just as we were both saying the typical "oh well" and the "maybe next time" we were literally about to stand up and leave, in fact we may have even been standing at this point im not sure. Then! we had eyes at about 150 yds. We quickly composed ourselves and prepared for the kill. John started lip squeaking as I positioned myself for a clear shot. This nice looking red made its way across oppisite edge of the feild began moving quickly straight across the feild toward our downwind. At about 50 yds she presented a nice shot so I let her have it. I was releaved to have not dissapointed John again with my marksmanship on this stand. We retreved a very nice looking smaller female red and weighed her in at 8.9 lbs. After this we called it a night.

I had a very exciting night hunting with John and learned a lot from tagging along with an experienced preditor hunter. Every stand I learned something valueable that I would not have learned if I didn't experience it first hand like I did the other night. We had eyes at 3 out of four stands and brought home some fur. Great night!

Thanks again John for taking the time to hunt with me and thank you HPA for providing us with the means to get in touch with others who share similar intrests.

And here is the success picture because whats a hunting tale without proof to go along with it?

The follownig morning John called and said his jeep still smelled like fox urine. I said well isn't that the idea...? HAHAH

Thanks for reading everyone. John, please chime in if I missed anything.

-Matt

G

·
John1951...you are a class act. We all need to give back.

Looking forward to you predator hunting light seminar on Saturday!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
My buddy and I did pretty good Sunday night also. First set he missed a beautiful red at 50 yards. I won't let him forget that for a while. Second set was a bust. Third set we called in at least four foxes and it may have been six. Hard to tell because we kept seeing eyes and killing fox, but the wind was swirling and took our scent right to the caller half the time and saw some eyes that came and then left. Ended up killing a triple on this crazy set. We even had one fox hanging out at about 300 yards while we picked up our critters. We finally decided to walk up on him to see if we could get within an ethical range for our 22 mags, but he finally saw enough and got out of town.

I dropped my buddy at home and made a few more sets but no fox were seen. I did kill a very big raccoon that had been watching me from a tree on one set, but I didn't get a photo of him.

Great night out Sunday, but it wore me down so bad that I have been brutally sick for the last three days. I even cancelled all of my patients for the day today and may not go in tomorrow. I have not missed work for sickness in over three years! This [censored]!

·
Banned
4,532 Posts
westernhunter said:
Nice hunt...but I have to ask.

If you guys had yotes howling around you, why did you leave???
We actually did stick around a bit, but saw no eyes. I decided to head out to another location after Matt shot at the fox. The yotes will come another day, as the farm that adjoins the one we hunted has only been called once and we'll head back with bigger guns next time. They are hiding in a swampy area there and we'll use different tactics then.

John

G

·
Going nuts...off all week and the lousy windy weather has kept me from hunting...knew I should have gone Christmas night. Tomorrow night is looking windy again!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts