The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
I think Bettis got jobbed hardcore last year. Top 5 in rushing yards, in a time when the league had become pass dominated. Greene was a monster. Dawson was simply the best at his position during his entire career. Butler, I can't say I really know a lot about. Unfortunately, there is a severe anti Steeler bias in the HOF, and playing for the best franchise in all of sports punishes them.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Well, at least two got their due respect. The Bettis thing absolutely leaves me stunned and angry.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Nice job by HOF committee, Dawson and Butler, Martin and Doleman all great and deserving picks. Bettis is about a 3rd 4th ballot selection at best if that. As far as bias against Steelers getting in the HOF your loco my friend.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats to all the inductees, espically Dirt and Jack Butler. The Bus will have his day.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Curtis Martin before Bettis?????? Really???????????

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
He is one slot ahead of Bettis, but Martin never was the biggest reason his team won a Super Bowl. I look at it like this-3rd and goal with 1 minute left in the SB, and you're down 6. Who do you want to carry the ball, Martin or Bettis? But Bettis was a Steeler, Martin was a Patriot, so the writers who vote put him in ahead of Jerome.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
But Bettis was a Steeler, Martin was a Patriot, so the writers who vote put him in ahead of Jerome.
And that is absolutely the correct reason.......

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Both were stats compilers and I don't think either should really be in the HOF. Bettis never led the league, and was only in the top five rushers 3 times.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
But, they are both in the top 10 all time rushing yards.....Martin is 4th and Bettis is 6th.......I think that right there entitles them both to a spot in the hall of fame

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
To be a stat compiler, one generally has to be good enough to play for a long period of time. I have no problem with Martin--he's from Pittsburgh, after all. Jerome deserves the HOF also. In fact, he was probably much more important to his team. The Patriots might have been OK with Bledsoe and no Martin, but the Steelers were sunk with Kordell and no Bettis. And Martin never put his team on his back and carried them to a world title. Jerome did.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will Martin go in as a Pat or a Jet? He only stayed with the Pats for 3 years, and played 8 with the Jets. Both the Bus and Martin were great backs. Different styles, but both were effective. It is amazing that four of the inductees have ties to Pittsburgh.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
The Pro Football HOF does not put guys in as members of any certain team. Martin will go in as Curtis Martin, Running Back.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Were Jerome or Curtis ever considered the best at their position in any year of their careers? Not rhetorical, I'm seriously asking.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I'm a little confused. On one hand you say that the HOF is anti Steelers. But then later you say that the HOF does not put guys in as members of certain teams. Care to explain???

steelerfan58 said:
Unfortunately, there is a severe anti Steeler bias in the HOF, and playing for the best franchise in all of sports punishes them.

steelerfan58 said:
The Pro Football HOF does not put guys in as members of any certain team. Martin will go in as Curtis Martin, Running Back.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
steelerfan58 said:
Unfortunately, there is a severe anti Steeler bias in the HOF, and playing for the best franchise in all of sports punishes them.
And I don't buy that for 1 second. The Steelers are tied for 3rd among teams in terms of number of players in the HOF. If they were really snubbed, they would be like 23rd. Why is it that Steeler fans always think the world is out to get them?

Bleacher Bums report

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well rlfb74, this is the deal. True or not, I don't know. But, a well respected local columnist, and HOF voter claims that it is common knowledge among the voters that there are guys who will not vote for a player just because they wore the black and gold. From 87 to 2002, the Steelers had 9 players, Head Coach, and owner inducted to the hall. Too many in some voters minds I guess. Look at Dawson for example. He was regarded as the best center in the game while he played. I think he became eligible for the Hall in 05, but it took him 6 or 7 trys to get the call.

It's a numbers game, and I sure a lot of backroom dealings go on during the voting. I'd like to think it all comes down to the list of who is eligible, and who's most deserving. But, that would be naive.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
eddie spaghetti said:
But, a well respected local columnist, and HOF voter claims that it is common knowledge among the voters that there are guys who will not vote for a player just because they wore the black and gold.
I don't like to assume, but I would imagine that this columnist is also a Steeler fan? Can you provide me with a link to this article?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts