The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good luck to all archers heading out in the late season. Flintlock guys too. Any late season deer is an achievement in my book, and one I have yet to personally achieve!

With snow/rain possible, everyone be extra careful getting in and out of tree stands. Wear that harness and safety rope for your loved ones, if not for you.

Especially for newer bowhunters - be aware of how much colder temps affect you and your bow as a hunting combo. It's tougher when you're all bundled up and half frozen. Adjust your tactics and shot selection accordingly, your effective kill range might be smaller.

·
Registered
18,707 Posts
Good advice. Had a buck get by me at 15 yards because I couldn't draw in the cold. Since that day I have shot 52 pounds in my compound. Deer didn't seem to notice the lowered weight as I have shot through everything after turning my bow down.

I will be out and about as well splitting time between the bow and flinter.

Good luck to all and be safe. Great time to pattern deer, especially if it is cold.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Good advice. Good luck to anyone getting out. I will get out some, but not the first day like I originally planned.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
DPMS, same thing happened to me years ago. Since then I have gone down to a 50-60 lb bow and normally shoot any where from 56-60 lbs. Haven't had the same issue since then. It ws one heck of a nice 10 pointer too. I was sick for months afterwards.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
DethFrumAbuv said:
Especially for newer bowhunters - be aware of how much colder temps affect you and your bow as a hunting combo. It's tougher when you're all bundled up and half frozen. Adjust your tactics and shot selection accordingly, your effective kill range might be smaller.
This is so true. I tend to turn my draw weight back 5 pounds or more in the late season. Always remember to re-check your sight pins again at the lower draw weight. It's amazing how hard it is to draw when you (and your bow) are cold and stiff. Everything that works really well at 50 degrees....well not so much when its in the teens and lower.

Clothing also makes a big difference, sometimes in unexpected ways. My shooting form is pretty good, so I never have a problem with the string hitting my sleeve even when I'm bundled uo. But, I found out something the other day when I and my young archery apprentice were shooting from the elevated stand at the club he belongs too. I generally use a heavy glove on my bow hand and a light glove on my release hand, so I dressed that way to practice. Well, I found out that the extra bulk on my bow hand tightens my wrist strap and causes me to torque the bow and pull my shots to the right. (I'm left handed by the way.) I took off the glove and my groups went right back to where they should be. I could probably just loosen the wrist strap a little, but I'll just wear light gloves on both hands and take my muff with me in the late season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts