The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of a good place to buy some land for hunting, maybe eventually put up a cabin or retirement place just to get away and have a quiet place in the woods. Some of my concerns were addressed in the hunting camps forum with my concerns about fracking. Obviously, no one wants this where they are going to live and so this puts a lot of PA out of the picture. Too bad, because I think north central PA with the elk and rural areas would be ideal. Would southern or northeast PA be a better bet? Maybe I will have to head south to southwestern VA. That is the Cumberland Gap area, home to Daniel Boone. Break out the flintlock! That could be the place.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
i dont think there will be a county in pa that wont have gas issues at some point in time, and iam. not saying gas is a bad thing, but back to the camp issue when you do buy your land i would want some type of water on it, stream , river, springs, etc.this is what i looked for when i bought mine, good luck.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
EBlair said:
I am thinking of a good place to buy some land for hunting, maybe eventually put up a cabin or retirement place just to get away and have a quiet place in the woods. Some of my concerns were addressed in the hunting camps forum with my concerns about fracking. Obviously, no one wants this where they are going to live and so this puts a lot of PA out of the picture. Too bad, because I think north central PA with the elk and rural areas would be ideal. Would southern or northeast PA be a better bet? Maybe I will have to head south to southwestern VA. That is the Cumberland Gap area, home to Daniel Boone. Break out the flintlock! That could be the place.
That is after he left Berks County Pennsylvania!

I certainly wouldn't cross N.C. Pa. off your list.

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
clermont said:
EBlair said:

don't trust this guy...he likes the Flyers

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
MOFO1 said:
clermont said:
EBlair said:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
All I can say is you have two choices laurel, or none. Best bet is to go and explore.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
I would love to find a small tract of land in NC to build a small cabin......but I would be happy most anywhere in Pa..no real bad spots outside the cities.....

·
Registered
21,258 Posts
MOFO1 said:
clermont said:
EBlair said:

Yes, but other than that, he seems rational.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Danesdad said:
MOFO1 said:
clermont said:
EBlair said:

Yes, but other than that, he seems rational.
Indeed he does!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
clermont said:
EBlair said:

+1

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
If your looking for a place to retire that has fantastic hunting, fishing and that would be like true wilderness, I'd say get away from the east and head to Wyoming, Montana or Idaho.

·
Registered
223 Posts
trapperrick said:
If your looking for a place to retire that has fantastic hunting, fishing and that would be like true wilderness, I'd say get away from the east and head to Wyoming, Montana or Idaho.
Well, uh hum, I live in MT during the summer, and also spend time in both WY and ID. I can tell you there is no true wilderness in any of those states, and the hunting and fishing [censored] there too.
In fact, I don't know why I leave PA at all for 4-5 months every year.

John

p.s. Why, my friend and I even had to pack up our stuff and leave the area when we got run off by these 2 locals last summer.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
MT_flyfisher said:
trapperrick said:
Well, uh hum, I live in MT during the summer, and also spend time in both WY and ID. I can tell you there is no true wilderness in any of those states, and the hunting and fishing [censored] there too.
In fact, I don't know why I leave PA at all for 4-5 months every year.

John

p.s. Why, my friend and I even had to pack up our stuff and leave the area when we got run off by these 2 locals last summer.
I'd disagree with the statement of "not going" to a state like WY. Last fall I went on my first pronghorn hunt near Casper and found it to be a great trip. Did all public land hunting and all 4 of my group filled our pronghorn tags.

We also did some fishing on some streams that no one else was on. My smallest catch was an 18" rainbow. The largest one took my spinner up the creek 40 yards and my knot just gave out.

I had to nap just to give my arm a rest!!!

SW

·
Registered
223 Posts
SW -

Pronghorns aren't wild. Why, where I live in MT you can practically hand feed them. They're especially fond of anything labeled as "Made in China".

And there are so many tame ones in WY that they use them to patrol the traffic on the interstate highways - you did see them along the roads near Casper, didn't you? They found out from experience that all those out-of-state people would slow down and drive at safer speeds if they put more pronghorns near the highways.

John

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
John,

That may be for the herds near the city. But when you get to open public land, it's a whole different ball game. When your truck stops, the pronghorns look. When your truck door opens, the pronghorns will give you maybe 60 seconds and then be 500 yards away in seconds.

It's not like they walk up to your vehicle and you shoot 'em in the head.

You stay here in Pa. I'll choose to expand my world and go to places where it's exciting and different to hunt. I'll still hunt here in Pa., as we have plenty of hunting opportunities, but there are exciting hunts elsewhere.

SW

·
Registered
223 Posts
This was part of article in the Billings Gazette awhile back regarding a couple grizzly incidents and maulings that happened practically in my backyard, in the Tom Miner Basin. It's just a couple miles from our place, and I go there all the time:

"Officers had just finished investigating the mauling when they got a call that two bow hunters from Pennsylvania encountered a female grizzly and a year-old cub in the Tom Miner basin northwest of Gardiner.

The bear came at them and they discharged pepper spray, but the bear veered around them, turned around and came back.

One of them said he shot her with a gun and killed her, Frost said."

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-an...l#ixzz1q3DrPH8g

Plenty exciting for those 2 guys, no?

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
I would choose either NC Pa or W.Va.WV has lower taxes and cheaper land prices but tough getting around some of those mountains.....The locals say that if WV was flat it would be bigger than Texas...

·
Registered
223 Posts
There you go. WV is BIG and CHEAP, so I agree that is the place to Go to. Besides, I hear from a good source that they stock tons of trout in their streams and you can follow the stocking trucks and catch a bundle on corn right after they throw them in. You'd never be able to catch your dinner like that in any of those western states.

·
Registered
740 Posts
RonM said:
I would choose either NC Pa or W.Va.WV has lower taxes and cheaper land prices but tough getting around some of those mountains.....The locals say that if WV was flat it would be bigger than Texas...
WV. as close as you can get to Heaven.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts