The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got some evidence the other day toward the "the weather was bad" theory of why the dog was losing so many rabbits! Had him out at my buddie's house. He had two rabbits up and performed very well on both, bringing one back twice and the other once. I was just happy to be behind the dog again! So much fun!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would love to run him with some other dogs! It's finding the time that's going to be a headache. Come September I will be working 12 hr days every weekday and that will go until November, so pretty much all of my early rabbit season is shot. I hope to get some time off after that and be able to run him a good bit beforehand too so I'll let you know!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Running has been just great lately. We have been on the ground 2-3 days a week.
This morning was 3 hours of steady running with 3 hounds.
Going to run the other 2 this evening.
Having a great time with some of the younger dogs.

John L

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went out this morning and didn't even get a chase. Of course it's been like a week of solid rain here and I'm a bit lazy when I start to get soaked. I'll admit the dog would likely chase but I pack it in too early for him to find anything. Hopefully things will dry up soon so I can get him out more. Or maybe I will suck it up and stay out... That and it was pretty windy out there today

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I was wrong. Running tonight was great. Had the pup out for about an hour with four chases. The longest chase brought the rabbit around three times and lasted 25 minutes. He is on it this year it seems. Doesn't hurt that the rabbits want to cooperate. Also found a HUGE patch of wild strawberries, all about the size of a .50 caliber round ball so someone will be having deliciousness on their cereal this week! Is it weird that I'm this happy over strawberries??

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Same here tonight, ran into Buddy and we ran a pack of 6 hounds for 3+ hours. They just hammered. Even broke our FC Nokie out for her first post - Litter run. She did just fine.

John L

and strawberries are a good thing LOL

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I too have had awesome running lately. Lots of fast driving races with few checks.

Psycho.

We will have the second annual Napa fun run sometime in September. That would be a great experience for your dogs.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That would be great. Only thing that may stick a fork in that is he is not a purebred beagle. It seems my poor pup gets excluded quite often for his heritage
lol it doesn't really bother him tho

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Purebred or registered doesn't matter.

As long as your hound isn't mean or in heat, it is welcome.

Hopefully, we will be getting a date soon.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Good point jim. I'm pretty gun shy with my girls. The way my luck runs, one would get bred by a brace dog...

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Seems like the long winter didn't hurt the population too bad. Been seeing lots of bunnies.

Had a new record this week. The dogs struck within 10 feet of the tailgate.

Lots of nice circles as well as some crazy buck chases.

Kyle,

Clean your inbox bud.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had one of them buck chases the other day myself. My wife was with me and she was worried he took a deer at first. But yep seems like the winter didn't hurt them real bad. Maybe knocked the ticks down some and helped the mortality rate? Neither I nor my dogs have had one tick so far this year. I hear others saying the ticks are bad, but I haven't found any.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Last night brought awesome running. One race lasted over an hour and a half. Few checks, lots of all driving the rabbit, with all hounds making a contribution to the pack.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts