The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting more and more into fox and coyote trapping. I usually hunt them with a .22 Hornet, however that is a heavier over/under that I would rather not carry while running a trapline. I am looking at suggestions as to what caliber I should carry to ensure quick dispatch of a coyote, but not severe damage to a fox. I have a .22 LR/.22 mag revolver that I am considering carrying. Should I set it up to carry .22 mags?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

·
Premium Member
24,083 Posts
I use 22 shorts

·
Premium Member
24,083 Posts
Berky said:
Why shoot them at all?
Because i'm not into the way you guys do it!!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
While I have not trapped in years because of living the apartment life now I would carry my .22 mag. lever gun with a scope and my Ruger single six with .22 shorts. Handgun for dispatch and close range small game and rifle for a little more reach. We didn't have coyotes here when I trapped but pretty sure a well placed mag. would do the trick. It wouldn't tear stuff up either.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
For both fox and coyote, Remington Subsonic 22LR Hollow Point. Not expensive come in a 100 pack, 1050fps, cycle well out of mag from a rifle, really expand in the skull.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1601383...ad-hollow-point

Mostly use these for fox, coon, CCI Quiet 22LR, 710 fps, just a pop. I've killed plenty of yotes with them but had one only stunned and found it alive when I went to get it out of the back of the Subaru wagon, carried it quite a ways over my shoulder too, what a story when I got home seeing it sitting in the back. I don't use them anymore on coyote.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/927185/cci-quiet-ammunition-22-long-rifle-40-grain-lead-round-nose

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Standard .22 LR is fine for coyotes for dispatch. If worried about the skull, double lung them, be sure they are dead before taking from trap. Look for dilated pupils ( really big black), and touch the eyelids. If there is eyelid movement it's still alive.

Obviously ok for fox too. Def for coon to have a gun. Easy to carry is a revolver. Get a decent holster. If you don't have an LTCF, you need a sportsman permit IIRC.

·
Registered
626 Posts
foxtrapperwoman said:
Standard .22 LR is fine for coyotes for dispatch. If worried about the skull, double lung them, be sure they are dead before taking from trap. Look for dilated pupils ( really big black), and touch the eyelids. If there is eyelid movement it's still alive.

Obviously ok for fox too. Def for coon to have a gun. Easy to carry is a revolver. Get a decent holster. If you don't have an LTCF, you need a sportsman permit IIRC.
wish a .22 would work for possum XD lil buggers are bulletproof sometimes

·
Registered
366 Posts
Standard velocity 22 works. Shorts and CB's don't always do it. CB's through the ear canal will, but my god do they bleed like crazy that way.

·
Registered
24,818 Posts
<span style="font-style: italic">f) .22 caliber or less rimfire required for furbearers. When using a firearm only a rimfire rifle or handgun .22 caliber or less may be used to dispatch legally trapped furbearers during the regular or special firearms deer seasons. </span>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts