The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to decide between a .223 and a .22-250 for fox and coyote hunting. I'll probably use it for some groundhog hunting in the summer too. Any suggestions on which one to go with?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,357 Posts
just my personal opinion, but unless you are going to hand load, neither of those guns are good for fox. They will be awesome for the other 2 species, but will blow a fox in half which kinda makes it pointless to kill one.
If you do hand load, look into the 22-250 and the barnes varmint grenade bullets, you can load them down to 36grains

Good luck and enjoy whatever caliber you choose
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
I'd go with something really light - like a .243. Not quite big enough to be effective on a deer, but a great caliber for a 40-50 coyote.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,897 Posts
No doubt a 243 will kill predators. I have taken groundhogs beyond 425 yds. more than once and it is a very good PA deer round. I have deer out to 225 yds with a 243.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,264 Posts
222 is perfect for yotes. Hard to find Yote/Fox cartridge. Fox you'ed shotgun or 22mag. A .243 fine for yotes and deer. Don't know what TrophyHunter is sayin .243's are fine on Pa. whitetails. Fox are not hard to take and go down easy. As with any game shoot in right place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,132 Posts
The 223 ammo is very cheap...The 22-250 is very expensive..If you use full metal jacket bullets it may not blow a fox in half..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,082 Posts
4c_game_chaser said:
just my personal opinion, but unless you are going to hand load, neither of those guns are good for fox. They will be awesome for the other 2 species, but will blow a fox in half which kinda makes it pointless to kill one.

I'll second what he said.

If you do hand load, look into the 22-250 and the barnes varmint grenade bullets, you can load them down to 36grains

Good luck and enjoy whatever caliber you choose
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Just watch if you shoot FMJ hallow points for the 223 Unless you have a backstop behind your target that bullet will ricochet so if your shooting anywhere near houses go with a v-max or sp.
depending on what bullet you shoot with the 223 you wont blow up a fox.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,823 Posts
TrophyHunter11 said:
I'd go with something really light - like a .243. Not quite big enough to be effective on a deer, but a great caliber for a 40-50 coyote.
ALOT of Pa. Deer hunters use 243's. I wonder if they know it's not an effective cartridge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
WildTigerTrout said:
TrophyHunter11 said:
I'd go with something really light - like a .243. Not quite big enough to be effective on a deer, but a great caliber for a 40-50 coyote.
ALOT of Pa. Deer hunters use 243's. I wonder if they know it's not an effective cartridge.
I'm sure the deer I shot with my 6mm would disagree about it's effectiveness on deer. Some were over 300 yards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,132 Posts
A FMJ bullet is not a hollow point...A hollow point is designed to explode on impact...A full metal jacket bullet is not...The FMJ bullet does much less damage on tissue..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,823 Posts
RayRay said:
WildTigerTrout said:
TrophyHunter11 said:
I'd go with something really light - like a .243. Not quite big enough to be effective on a deer, but a great caliber for a 40-50 coyote.
ALOT of Pa. Deer hunters use 243's. I wonder if they know it's not an effective cartridge.
I'm sure the deer I shot with my 6mm would disagree about it's effectiveness on deer. Some were over 300 yards.
Where did you hit it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,823 Posts
RayRay said:
All the ones shot with my 6mm either dropped on the spot or within 30 yards. They were all heart & lung shots.
The 243 Win., 6MM Rem., and the 240 Weatherby Mag. are all great Deer cartridges. IMO the 6mm's in general are magic on Pa. Deer.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,485 Posts
The key to a good predator hunting round is reloading. It doesn't matter what the bullit comes out of. What matters is the right bullet and how fast you are pushing it. Personally I load a 222 for fox/yote.

Given the choice of 223 or 22 250, 223 is the better. Have personally seen fox split in half by a 22 250. If you dont reload and looking for something off the shelf, take a look at the fireball. 17 or 221.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,460 Posts
Save your money and get the new 17 Hornet that will be coming out soon.. Savage is suppose to be providing a rifle in that configuration... Predators... 22 Hornet used in the right terrain, 17 Remington, and the 17 Fireball...

I do like the 17 Center fires..

Gerald Stewart video shows that there is not much blow up with Winchesgter 223 Silver Tip Ballistic ammo... I'm in the process of testing it for my 223. I have used it as a reload in the 22250.. Point blank no blow up on chucks, from 40 to 100 yards it blows up the chucks.. After 100 yards the blow up is not as great... I wouldn't suggest the 22250 as a fox gun.....
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top