The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good bye to a True Gundog

When people ask me, who is the best overall hunting dog you ever had the pleasure to feed, my answer usually surprises them.

We have been blessed here to have had some truly exceptional and high profile dogs here and have gunned over quite a few more that were owned by hunting buddies.
Also had some really good ones born here that went on to flourish with some great owners.

But tonight we laid to rest our favorite.
HBCH Janie's Lackawanna Abigail didn't have a fancy pedigree, didn't win any state championships, futuritys, or season consistency awards like some of those born here did.
What she did was just be good to great all the time.
She anchored my hunting pack for over a decade.

The most intelligent hound I ever knew, handled perfectly. I could put her on a line or in a brush pile from 50 yards away. Never needed a leash.
One of the top 3 noses I ever saw. A uncanny jump ability and this ability to control a pack from the middle that I rarely see any more.

She was also our house dog, Slept at the foot of our bed for most of he last 13+ years.
A true friend who never gave us cause to doubt her.
She was Janie's dog at home but mine in the field.

Rip Old Girl. It has been our honor.
What a great long life you have had.
Our hearts ache and we shall not forget.

Now rest and let the young ones carry that torch that you held so high for so long.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ill 2nd nicely written. Sorry for your loss.
I loss my pride and joy last year. She was from Jack Eddy line, the best all around dog I ever had. Big, but honest nose,never ran trash, and never once barked in the kennel! Even at 11 yr old, still hunted every sat for 6 hrs. Im blessed to have a offspring of her to carry on a great line

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Sorry for your loss. We lost our beagle Tommy last year, just before his 16th birthday. It's not easy, they can never be replaced.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like you have years of memories to put a smile on your face from time to time. I still take the time to stop and reflect on hunts with my past dogs when I visit our hunting grounds.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I know how you feel I lost my smartest and best 2 years ago Sep. 30 he was only six, best Beagle I ever had. My prayers go out to you. I have a pretty good beagle now that I got from you Della she will be 2 in Nov. She runs the front from the time she was a year old she is very good and I love her dearly. remember the good times you had with Abigale

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I am Sad for your loss and feel your pain. I lost my 13 year old beagle friend Eli on the 18th of Oct. I miss him and the group of dogs I gun with also miss him. They hunt but not the same or at least that is how I see it.
Like you this dog was my wife's dog that just happened to like to go hunting with me. The truck seems empty without him.

If you figure a way to get past this I would like to know.
Very nice tribute to your true friend. Waugh!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts