The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a QUALITY bobcat taxidermist. I feel that cats are one of the hardest things to do well AND correctly. Anyone have any good leads?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Do you mind shipping your cat.... I have an excellent guy in Arkansas .... and he is very reasonably priced...

·
Registered
957 Posts
not yet that I am aware of... I can send you pics of my cat... it looks like it walked in from outside and crawled up on the entertainment center....

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
There's lots of good cat taxidermists in the state Dave. Check some websites and visit the PTA site http://www.pataxidermy.com to find someone near you. Take the time to visit the studio and actually look at the work being done there. Feel free to take photos of live cats with you.
Let me know what area of the state you're in and I can point you toward a few.

Paul

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am in Butler PA. There are alot fo good taxidermists, but cat taxidermy is something else all together IMO. I will be looking forward to hearing from you!

·
Registered
999 Posts
I've used Mike Walsh for taxidermy work. He is one of the best out there. Here's the link for his site. Click on the smaller pics to view enlarged photos. His attention to detail is impeccable. He is located here on Long Island.

http://www.mikewalshtaxidermy.com/gallery.html

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
yotehunter74 said:
not yet that I am aware of... I can send you pics of my cat... it looks like it walked in from outside and crawled up on the entertainment center....
If you wouldn't mind, could you post your pics here? Everyone likes looking at mount pics!

·
Registered
730 Posts
im curious as well about good bobcat taxi's... alot i have seen have cats that look like they put on a can of mascara and eye liner!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
i'm not taxi critique but sometimes they just look plain bad... What makes these types of mounts tricky face wise?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Predator faces are among the most difficult to capture correctly. Look at your dog or cat and observe how many different "expressions" it can have in a minute. Its pretty amazing. How many expressions can a deer have?? Hungry, horny, mad and "holy crap I gotta get outa here!"

Predator eyes and facial hair patterns contribute the most to the "lifelikeness" and overall appeal of the mount because that is where the most "expression" is. This is especially true with cats---domestic, bob, mountain and african.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Thanks PaulC, that was informative. I guess the next question is- there's a big difference in a very lifelike appearance and the cross eyed yotes we've seen pics of- you would think a competant taxidermist while not nailing the mount would do an average job, not the horrors we've seen. Seems like there's no in between- they nail it or there abouts or the work takes a dive off a cliff and hits bottom. Keystonepaul

·
Registered
30 Posts
Greg Orr who owns Fisherman's Pride Taxidermy in Titusville, PA did an awesome job with my cat last year. I agree with Dave I have seen a lot more bad cat and coyote mounts than good ones. Hopefully i can post some pics in the future for everyone to see.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts