The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sounds like an interesting hobby now that I am semi-retired and have some time. How much money do you need to spend on a detector to get started? What brands are the best to use? I don't want to spend much as a beginner until I decide whether I like the hobby a lot. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
You are going to get all kinds of answers but for a true beginner id stick with a Garrett ace250, a whites classic series or a Tesoro. Get to know your machine, digging proper plugs and then decide if you want to get deeper into it....and the ground!
I picked up my whites classic for $125 and then dropped another $125 on a Garrett pro pointer which IMO is a needed item. $30 for knee pads and a shovel and I was set.
One year later I upgraded to the mine lab etrac, caught fire and Havent looked back yet!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Almost what Game Chaser said.

The Pro Pointer is a must-have item. I’m don’t think headphones are included with an Ace250, so if buying after-market headphones anyway, you may as well go with an Ace350, which includes headphones.

I don’t use knee pads – but then of course……….I’m tough! Baaaaahahahaha.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Not to be rude but this question comes up so many times it's like a virus.It's really hard to give anyone advice as to what machine to get, simply because everyone has different types of hunting they prefer to pursue,decide on what you want to find and where you plan on finding it,decide on a price point your comfortable with spending and don't forget those much needed accessories to go along with it that will add up to your total cost,once you have that all figured out start looking at your machines and other things to decide what you can afford and go from there.

·
Registered
540 Posts
richbat said:
Not to be rude but this question comes up so many times it's like a virus.It's really hard to give anyone advice as to what machine to get, simply because everyone has different types of hunting they prefer to pursue,decide on what you want to find and where you plan on finding it,decide on a price point your comfortable with spending and don't forget those much needed accessories to go along with it that will add up to your total cost,once you have that all figured out start looking at your machines and other things to decide what you can afford and go from there.
I agree.
And, if I was starting out again I would save some money by buying a used detector and use it until I decide if detecting was for me. Buy one from a detecting shop and you'll get a deal on a reliable machine. PM me if you want references on who to trust buying from.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
any detector you can afford is a good beginning detector. as with most things you get what you pay for in a detector. basically the more you spend, the more information you will have to make a decision whether or not to dig.

to the guys who say dig it all...you must have a lot of time on your hands.

I like the tesoros for ease of use. They have a lifetime warranty for the original owner...and their least expensive machine which is less than $200 new, is a simple and powerful machine and it will easily fetch near what you pay for it, should you decide detecting isnt for you.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Here's another thing to consider when buying a machine with all the bells and whistles,although they may be useful tools once you get the hang of how to use them and when to use them,it could also discourage you to the point of frustration therefore causing you to give up before even learning anything about it's use.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I started with a used Fisher F2. Wow what a great lil machine. It has alot of power,deep searching MD> I would look hard at the Fisher F2. I have seen the for a fair price and you can sell it and get your money back. I paid 175 for a machine,pin pointer,shovel,finds pouch! I sold the MD and got 160.00 for it! I used for just about a year, ya see I jumped all in a got a few other machines.

I am kinda newbie but check out the internet for used machines, buy from an established company, Fisher,Garnett,whites,minelab,etc

If you ever up my way Bucks County, Shoot me a PM I will hook up with ya and let ya swing one on my MD. I own Fisher cz 7a pro,Tesoro silver Umax,whites Prizm v.
Koz

1 - 10 of 10 Posts