The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know that every gun is different and that not all combos will work the same, im just looking to get an idea of what everyone who uses an 11-87 supermag is using in terms of shells and choke combo.

right now i have an indian creek black diamond strike paired with 3" hevi shot magnum blend and its a fairly decent pair to 30-35 yds.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
I'd try a Pure Gold .670 with that ammo.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Winchester x-tended range # 5 do it for us in the rem super mag and the ic choke tube.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Remingtons seem to like a bit tighter choke than some guns...similar to benellis. Your BDS choke should work well in that gun. You might want to try some hevi shot 2 ounce 6s or 7s through that choke. Another thing is have you deep cleaned the barrel? By deep cleaned I mean REALLY, REALLY cleaned it? You'd be surprised how a super clean barrel will pattern better than a dirty barrel. Deep clean your barrel first then try the rounds you have. If you don't like the way they pattern still you could try some straight hevi and see what you get...

·
Registered
542 Posts
Just curious, did you try the HD choke that came with the gun. I had very good results with the HD choke and hevi 13 #6 3in 2oz.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no i did not do a deep clean on the barrel, i will have to try that. no i didnt try the choke that came with it because i dont think an extra full came with it. i believe it was only IC and another.

·
Banned
252 Posts
Im using a trulock choke .650 made for the fed hw 7's and get great patterns out of it with the 7 shot,and it hits like a mack truck.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ill have to invest in a few chokes this year, id like to get a good pattern at 40 yds just to know i could do it. i am getting nice groups at 40 yds with the mathews though =-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts