The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loss of 50 percent time people have available?
What a load of crap!
That 50% less opportunity seems about right to me and likely many if not most of our fellow hunters who want to introduce the next generation to hunting and need to travel a bit to get out of the suburbs.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oldie but Goodie

Did you follow the link that showed a DCNR study about outdoor travelers showing only 7% of all the hikers, horseback riders, campers, leaf watchers, picnickers, hunters, etc. out of all they surveyed were even out and about in Nov. and Dec. combined.

Somewhat difficult for me to believe those percentages have changed much and doesn't lend much credibility to those that preach Sunday Hunting here in PA will have all sorts of dire consequences to other outdoor activities but somehow can't be documented anyplace else where Sunday Hunting is legal.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
This article is 14 years old, check the date on the page.

·
Registered
854 Posts
That 50% less opportunity seems about right to me and likely many if not most of our fellow hunters who want to introduce the next generation to hunting and need to travel a bit to get out of the suburbs.
There was no problem getting next generation hunting for decades with 6 days a week hunting.

·
Registered
18,926 Posts
Did you follow the link that showed a DCNR study about outdoor travelers showing only 7% of all the hikers, horseback riders, campers, leaf watchers, picnickers, hunters, etc. out of all they surveyed were even out and about in Nov. and Dec. combined.
And yet we still have hunters that state all kinds of concerns about interfering with non hunters activities on Sundays. Its a bogus position.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Indeed. It would seem this law has been obsolete for quite a while.

Maybe, but it certainly seems to have staying power for some odd reason.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Id be curious to know what that percentage would be if you added the month of October. I also wonder how much those numbers have changed since then.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
18,926 Posts
Here is another example. Trapping seasons typically open on Sunday but it is not legal to set new traps on Sundays. It is only legal to re-set existing traps and dispatch animals. Yet, the PGC opens trapping on Sunday.

·
Registered
87 Posts
There was no problem getting next generation hunting for decades with 6 days a week hunting.

True, but decades ago the competition was not so intense. Today, kids have many more options for using their spare time. I do not know if Sunday hunting will improve participation rates but my opinion is that there is little risk that it will reduce those rates. At worst, it will be neutral. There is nothing wrong with choosing not to participate but why mandate that for everyone?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts