The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all you mushroom hunters, it's time to be looking. In the last couple days I've found a nice patch of Golden Chanterelles and a Giant Polypore. I've included some pictures below.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
I saw many last weekend that look alot like the golden ones in your photos and wondered about them. Are there any others that look like them? If not, how are they cooked? I only feel safe picking a few types of mushrooms. I'd love to know more.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hdt said:
I saw many last weekend that look alot like the golden ones in your photos and wondered about them. Are there any others that look like them? If not, how are they cooked? I only feel safe picking a few types of mushrooms. I'd love to know more.
There are a few mushrooms that may have similiar colors. Jack-o-Lanterns are orange and can make you pretty sick. Chanterelles normally have a wavy edge and round or blunted gills that run part of the way down the stem. They also have unique smell, which some have compared to apricots. They are very good eating and from what I have read are highly prized by professional chefs, etc. I like them with eggs, but I sauteed some tonight in butter with a little salt & pepper and they tasted very good that way too.
Be careful when gathering wild mushrooms. Always make certain you positively identify them before eating them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts