The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to try to do a lot more Flintlock shooting this spring ?
I have 2 . A Lyman Deer Stalker that is new and unfired and a Traditions a fellow gave me . It is a PA Pellet model. My2 sons have Deer Stalkers also.
I ordered a peep sight for the Lyman and I hope it will help me improve my accuracy ?
Round balls,Lee Real bullets in 2 weights and Maxi balls I have and molds to see which I like best ? My sons and Grandson have been using Cheap Shots with their in lines and flinters with great success for a few years!
I just need to play around because you never know what could be better and to have some fun ?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The peep will help more then you think.
Give use some range reports after the peep is on.

Reactions: willyp

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I can testify to the accuracy of round balls out of the Deerstalker. 80 grains of 3F powder, 0.020 patch with a .490 round ball. That gun will have no trouble putting them in at 50 yards, and should do well out to 100 yards. Farthest I ever shot at game was a groundhog at right around 100 yards. I can't say much about the peep sight; I find them harder to use than iron sights, but, and no offense is meant, my eyes are probably much younger than yours (this is an assumption; I of course could be wrong). I know my dad is starting to prefer a peep to irons now, so it may very well help you. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts