The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Good luck Capt!! Have a blast. Get one of each!!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Best wishes for a safe and successful hunt/adventure. Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy yourself.....pics and story required.

Waidmannsheil

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
Best of luck to you. Sounds like a fantastic trip. We have six weeks until we leave for Wyoming so I’ll be waiting to read your report when you return. Safe travels.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all and I will report but might need help with pic posting. The guide texted me last night as he sat in the same blind I was in last year with his hunter. Told me a 300 lb cinamon bear walked by the blind at 8 yds, but his hunter had no bear tag then an hour later he texted again that elk were coming to the water hole but they busted him. I told him to keep that guy in the blind because I want that bear,lol...

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well Im home . We had a great trip but the commute there and back was HORRIBLE.On the way there flying into lAlbuquerque we were more then halfway there and the plane had to go back to Houston due to a medical emergency then coming back home last night we flew into Houston in the middle of the beginning of a tropical storm so we scrambled and got a flight into Newark and took a limo home. Got home at 330 AM. But the hunt was great. I got a 5x4 on the first day and my nephew got a 5x5. We had 2 bad hits that we didnt recover and were covered in bears.I saw 3 but no shots and the other 4 of us saw many more than I did. There is so much more but I'm too beat right now.Thank you to all the well wishers. More of the story to come.....

·
Registered
11,335 Posts
Well Im home . We had a great trip but the commute there and back was HORRIBLE.On the way there flying into lAlbuquerque we were more then halfway there and the plane had to go back to Houston due to a medical emergency then coming back home last night we flew into Houston in the middle of the beginning of a tropical storm so we scrambled and got a flight into Newark and took a limo home. Got home at 330 AM. But the hunt was great. I got a 5x4 on the first day and my nephew got a 5x5. We had 2 bad hits that we didnt recover and were covered in bears.I saw 3 but no shots and the other 4 of us saw many more than I did. There is so much more but I'm too beat right now.Thank you to all the well wishers. More of the story to come.....
Congrats on the bull. Now get some rest and get the pics and story posted!!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Pictures from the hunt or it didn't happen! 😆

·
Registered
12,463 Posts
Sounds like a great hunt, congrats! Can't wait for the story!

BTW, I'd be happy to help with posting pics if you should need it.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys I will take you up on you offer to help me post the pictures Loridr...Heres the story. I got into my blind overlooking a waterhole 20 minutes before shooting light. I got all my equipment laid out , binos,rangefinder, calls,etc. and of course my snacks and water. As soon as I had shooting light I ranged everything I could and checked my surroundings with my binos. I made 3 calls on my Hoochie Mama and double checked my equipment. I had my bow hanging from the rod at top of the blind. At that time about 3 minutes after I made the call and I looked to my left and there was a bull 35 yards away and I could tell he was looking hard for the cow that called.He stood there for what seemed like an hour but was actually less than a minute and started for the waterhole. I had my bow ready but I didnt have a shot. He walked into the water and he faced me at about 20 yards. I thought about a frontal shoot which I have been watching videos on and reading about but I decided against it because I knew he would have to turn broadside and he did. He walked out of the hole and stopped broadside at 25 yards, I was at full draw on him and released. Arrow was flying perfect AND he took a half step and I hit him a bit far back. He spun around to run and I saw my broadhead hanging out the opposite side.and he ran.....I did not like the hit but I knew it was fatal. I called the guide and when he got there we checked around the site where I hit him. Took some time but we found the bloodtrail. We waited 2 hrs. before we entered the thick stuff. Help came and we tracked him, found my arrow about a 100 yards away covered with dark blood so we figured a liver hit.I backed out but they kept tracking I was disgusted with myself. When they returned they told me they jumped him so they backed out. We went back 4 hours later and didnt find him. I was sick and the temps were near 90. I knew we would not get him because he was probably already spoiled. Next afternoon I went back into the blind because my elk hunting was over but I had a bear tag. Shortly I got a picture sent to me from the guide of my elSad part was he died 100 yards from where we stopped. They said he was stinking and they needed to bring a sawsall back. So I got the head and am having a euro mount done. I still feel so bad but i took a shot that I waited for but a bit of bad luck was involved. The places we hunted were loaded with bears I saw 3 but no shots. Everyone saw bears and 1 bear was killed a very small one 64 lbs. I would not of shot it but I dont judge. It was a pretty blond bear. Thats it fellas not a perfect outcome but enjoyed the **** out of it with family. If someone can message me a phone number I will text them my pictures so maybe they can post them for me . Thanks in advance. Rudy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts