The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new .54 flinter tonight from Brad Emig. He rec's only using GOEX powder and no substitute. I have great respect for Brad and Shane. Their knowledge is extensive so I'm going to follow his lead. Just wondering what everyone using in their flinters. I have others but always used substitutes. He is recommending 80 grain .530 ball with .015 patch.

BTW, If you never saw a Cabin Creek muzzleloader they are beautiful. These guys are tops in their game.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
If I was to use a substitute in my longrifle I think it would refuse to shoot it. Seriously, "real" black powder will work much better in a flinter. You will get better ignition. Enjoy that new rifle!

·
Premium Member
4,378 Posts
My lefty, .54 cal. Yorktown built by Brad, appreciates 85 grains of FFFg Goex behind a .535 round ball wrapped in .015 patch of watered-down Ballistol. One of these days, when my ship comes in, I plan to try Swiss powder, but no sails in sight as yet.

Good luck with that new rifle, you won't be disappointed. I have three of Brad's builds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's great but Brad advised no 3F ( pistol powder) only and strictly 2F in barrel due to fluctuations in charges with 3F. Again I will heed his warnings.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
What gun did u get from cabin creek? I have a col va in a 54 I personally use Swiss powder and use a similar combo of ball and patch mine likes 80 gr of ff Swiss or 90gr of ff goex it works really well trust me on this one

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got the same one. He indicated 90 grain was good hunting load also. I don't know who in York sells the Swiss Powder. Do you notice if one is a little cleaner than the other?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The Swiss does burn cleaner than goex a little more money but IMO worth it. I know that ft chambers has it and for what I remember a good price also dixons

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Real BP is the only thing that should be used in a flinter for reliable ignition. If you use subs you wont see the rifles true potential.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Goex, swiss, and elephant (if you can find it) work very well. I prefer fff for everything 54 caliber and below. I tried the substitutes and they don't work worth a hoot in flinters.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I did some reading on real BP and some of the substitutes in an article written by Hornady and one in PA Game News. Real BP has an ignition temp of 460 - 480 degrees. All of the substitutes have ignition in the 600 to 750 degree range. That in my mind is why the substitutes do not work as well in a flintlock.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The substitutes work well in the inlines that have a hotter ignition.
As stated above only use real BP in your flintlock.
Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
12,372 Posts
Gippy96, to post the picture, go to the picture on photobucket and click on the IMG code. simultaneously press "control" & "c" and then click in your reply box here and simultaneously hit "control" & "v"

Then when you click to make your post, the "system" automatically imports your picture.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts