The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the supplies looking like in the gun shops? I didn't need to buy any in awhile but might get another can of FF, FFF and FFFF. I didn't take notice to any of the stocks in the stores I was in recently, never hit me to check it out knowing I had what I needed.

What is everyone paying these days for it?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
502 Posts
No problem in the Zelienople area, and if I remember it was a little over 22.00 a pound when I stocked up.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
My guess in the low 20 range. I have switched to Swiss black powder several years ago. Its about 5 bucks per lb higher than goex but well worth it. Very clean burning & the most consistent granulation out there. Plus you can back off load 5-10% as compared to goex. No one that i know that tried Swiss ever went back to Goex!

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heck, I bought my cans a few years ago and paid somewheres in the 12-14 dollar range. Man... it looks like the price went up on this stuff too, not just centerfire components.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Yeah---it went up so I bought 25 pounds this year to cut the cost way back.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bunky said:
Yeah---it went up so I bought 25 pounds this year to cut the cost way back.
That's alot of fun in that 25 pounds

·
Premium Member
4,374 Posts
Spirit, Bunky didn't come down in the last shower. To enjoy your flintlocks to the fullest, you need to buy powder in VOLUME. I've put my excess in my will.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I need to stock up like some of you guys! When you only got a pound or two on hand or the different types, makes you a little uneasy

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Berksy---my sides hurt from laughing!!! Hey Berksy are you in need of French Flints yet? I go by the shooting range that sells them daily.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Last spring I went to the gander mt in harrisburg and paid 16 for a pound of FF goex

·
Registered
12,840 Posts
brewyak said:
Last spring I went to the gander mt in harrisburg and paid 16 for a pound of FF goex
That`s what I paid about a year ago at GM near me. Sounds like a good deal now considering.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hopefully I can find some in the next few days... I need a pound of FF, FFF AND FFF

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I need to start shooting more. I'm still working on the same couple of pounds I bought about 10 years ago.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
I need to start shooting more. I'm still working on the same couple of pounds I bought about 10 years ago.
yeah...sounds like you need to smoke more!!

nice thing bp has an indefinite shelf life if stored properly vs the subs.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Shoot 3F and you only need to buy one powder.
Hey Loggy I still have a tad left from 1849 that my father passed along to me -- I added a few grains to my powder horn for thr romance that I now have powder from our country's frontier days!!!

·
Registered
21,005 Posts
Loggy said:
hunt/fish365 said:
yeah...sounds like you need to smoke more!!

nice thing bp has an indefinite shelf life if stored properly vs the subs.
If stored properly is the key.Where can you get Swiss black powder near central Pa?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts