The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always felt that when my Goex ran out I would start buyin Swiss after hearin for years how much better it is.I think I,m always goin to stay with GOEX.It,s an all American Co.and with all of their explosions,they need all the help and support they can get.Besides,I,ve always had good success with it and if Swiss doesn,t have the same smoke and sweet aroma I wouldn,t want it anyway.
Do you all agree or disagree?

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
i have used swiss in my 45-70 and 45-90, and really liked it. after i sold them, i used the rest in my 62 cal trade gun and it worked fine. seemed to be a little less fouling with it. i'am back to goex again because i have alot of it. if i ever run out, i would consider using it again.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I bought some swiss 2f a few years back and paid a whopping $16.37 a jug. It's ok buy I doubt I will buy more when it's gone. I still use the Goex and actually prefer it. Goex 2f is a nice soft recoiling powder that my TC rifles seem to prefer as well.

Back when I bought the Swiss it was all about power and range and now the extra power and range doesn't interest me. I sight in at 80 yards and leave it at that.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I prefer the Swiss less fouling and I don't have to use as much of it yeah it's a little more money totally worth it in my book. When I do a lot of shooting in a day (70-80shots) only have to swab the bbl a few times even then it's not bad

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Both are good powder.If I didn't have so much Goex I would probably use Swiss.
Last price for Goex was $25 a can.

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the properties of the 2 powders different enough that Swiss wouldn,t be considered BP?Is Swiss black?I think I remember readin it wasn,t.Does it have charcoal and sulphur?Why would it foul less and is it more or less corrosive?GM said Goex was $24 a lb/can.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Swiss is black. Think anthracite coal black. Swiss is true black powder it is the wood that is used in making the charcoal that makes it cleaner and hotter burning. Alder wood if my memory is correct. I also think they use a different screening and tumbeling process.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Been shooting Swiss for last few years. I find it far superior than Goex in it's granulation consistency plus far less fouling compared to Goex. It's also approx 10% hotter vs Goex so you can back your loads off a lil. As long as Swiss is available...I will never use Goex. I only shoot a few pounds a year so cost isn't a big deal. In addition Swiss's higher quality allows me to shoot it in my White Super 91 .504 inline with excellent results.

Probably save xtra cost over Goex in cleaning patches saved plus 10% load reduction! lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts