The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
real quick guys, im about to leave for camp. i had to buy some fff last minute as im just about out of 2f for my thompson 50 fl and my dad and bros lyman 50's. can anybody tell me how many gr of the fff i can safely use with our roundballs for whitetails. ive never used anything but 2f but we are in a pinch.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
I wouldn't exceed the 80-85 grain mark personally... I use 70 with a 240 grain bullet in the 50 I have.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
FFFg is going to fly different than FFg.Wouldn't shoot over 70grs in a 50.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Might add something here... I experimented with 75 and 80 grains in the 24" deerstalker barrel, and when I hit the 75-80 grain mark, alot of unburnt powder was left.

Might be different in a longer tube... but not in this one.

70 is the accuracy load, and no powder left behind that is un-burnt.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
70gr it is then, thanks guys. i shouldnt have waited to the last minute to check my supplies but it sounds like the fff will work

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I'm shooting 90 gr of 3F in my 50 cal deerstalker. Then again, I am pushing a very heavy 385 gr conical. I have found that I cannot reload in the field without running a patch through the barrel first, so maybe unburnt powder or excess residue is the culprit?

Yesterday I fired a shot and went to run a cleaning patch and my ramrod got stuck in the barrel. I was miffed. It took me 5 minutes to unwedge that thing.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Make that 1st patch wet with either spit or water followed by a dry one.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Yep,especially after a shot.No,it won't freeze.

·
Registered
410 Posts
anybody else do this...on the snow or in the abscence of it a white bed sheet, shoot and see how much unburned powder results and take load down accordingly till powder is completly burned

·
Registered
128 Posts
I shoot 80 grains of fff out of my TC 50 firestorm. I shot 90, 85, and once I hit 80 I was laying them in there with the patches looking good and no unused powder blowing out the barrel

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
i shoot 90grs of 3fg Schuetzen in my 50cal tc hawken under a patched ball...pretty sure Schuetzen is a bit hotter than Goex...and 3fg is a little hotter than 2fg...110gr is max according to the manual..but i think thats 2fg goex...i figure with 90gr of my load, im about at the max...

accurate and no troubles...

i think you wanna back off 5-10gr when going from 2f to 3f..i think its around 10% hotter if not mistaken...

ive played around in the snow and im not wasting powder that i can tell...

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I have come to really like Goex 3f powder in my RMC; it seems to like it more than any I have tried. I shoot 80 grains in a 24" barrel and 100 in the 28". I use various pistol bullets from 200-300 grains and all shoot very accurate. I use 2f when I shoot the big Hornday Great Plains bullets with the same load levels.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts