The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God's Country Rendezvous

Potter County, located in north-central Pennsylvania, also known as God's Country, is home to a plethora of wild trout streams. Since stream levels were up nicely from recent storms and Wednesday night was expected to be almost summer-like, I decided it was time for a little rendezvous with one of those little streams on Thursday, May 26th, 2016.

My alarm clock rang at 3:00 a.m., but in reality I had had one eye open for the prior hour in anticipation of my trip to the mountains.

During the two and a half hour drive I thought back to the many large native brookies I had caught here last year on my June trip with my often-imitated-but-never-replicated White Bead Gold spinners.

I also thought about the occasional wild brown trout that held in the streams nicest pools.

I was greeted by a chorus from a bunch of veeries when I arrived, and when I shut the door to my SUV a gobbler gobbled from the steep ridge not fifty yards away.

The stream flow looked good, though I thought it might actually be a little higher. The water temperature was 50-degrees and the air was 55-degrees.

The stream braids quite often resulting in a minimal flow in each channel, making it more challenging to hit the exact spots with my spinner. I enjoy this challenge, though I dislike having to walk back downstream to pick up the other channel in the braid so as to not "waste" any water.

When the stream was all together it had some relatively nice pools.

The canopy of a hawthorn tree growing in a streamside clearing added to the wilderness ambiance of the day.

The trout were only hitting so-so at first, but I kind of expected this since initially the creek runs along a State Forest road and some camps. As I moved up the deep hollow and away from civilization the action improved somewhat. The first hour yielded thirteen native brook trout.

When I came to a pool with good cover thoughts of a nice wild brown trout always entered my mind.

Occasionally I was rewarded.

One thing nice about many small trout streams is that there is one good pool after another.

Each pool held some wild trout.

Only three wild brown trout were landed all day.

My largest native brookie was this 11"er.

The hours passed quickly but I took the time to enjoy my surroundings, like these buttercups.

I couldn't recall ever seeing such a large stand of false hellebore. Usually there are just a few plants here and there.

A common sight along a wilderness trout stream.

When the stream got to be no more than a trickle I knew it was time to hang up the rod and head back to my SUV.

My final total for the 7.50 hours that I fished was 143 trout. This included a dozen native brookies between 9" and 11". The largest wild brown was 12.5".

Although it was very hot and humid, the three mile hike back to my SUV on a winding State Forest road was very relaxing. I was pleased with the day.

- Frank Nale -

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Another great trip Frank!

I think I know where you fished. I actually thought about going there Monday, but decided against it. Good thing!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Great story, but I'm sorry... did you basically just admit that you were kinda sorta awake at 2 AM??? Is there such a time, and are people in fact allowed to be up at that hour? The last time I saw 2 AM it was on the laying down to bed side, probably after drinking with a buddy!

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Do you know how many miles of stream you fished during 7.5 hours on the same stream? I always note my ending point and match it up on satellite imagery when I get home to record the mileage. It is quite interesting to see how far I make it.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kwright032 said:
What does your wife say about these 3am wake ups?? Nice outing as usual.
I'm single and always have been single. If I were married it would be a whole different paradigm for me. One thing for sure, I wouldn't be fishing anywhere near as much as I do now.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
psychobeagle12 said:
Great story, but I'm sorry... did you basically just admit that you were kinda sorta awake at 2 AM??? Is there such a time, and are people in fact allowed to be up at that hour? The last time I saw 2 AM it was on the laying down to bed side, probably after drinking with a buddy!
I've always been a morning person so getting up early to go fishing is not a big deal to me. I usually go to bed earlier than normal the night before getting up early.

I don't touch alcohol and never have.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trout Traveler said:
Another great trip Frank!

I think I know where you fished. I actually thought about going there Monday, but decided against it. Good thing!
I wouldn't be surprised if you know. Next time I'll have to disguise things a little better.

Once I retire (very soon) I plan to do a lot more travelling in Pennsylvania to fish these wilderness streams. It will be nice to take advantage of water levels, too, since I won't be tied down to a work schedule.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
troutdoorsman said:
Do you know how many miles of stream you fished during 7.5 hours on the same stream? I always note my ending point and match it up on satellite imagery when I get home to record the mileage. It is quite interesting to see how far I make it.
I fished about three miles of stream on this outing. I use the old fashion approach of laying a piece of string on my map to mark the distance and then putting it against the scale of miles in the legend.

I have used the Pennsylvania Game Commission's website where you can measure distance by simply drawing a line, but that feature no longer works on my work computer, likely due to an extremely outdated browser.

Do you by chance know the formula for calculating the distance between two GPS coordinates?

·
Registered
384 Posts
5chunter said:
There is nothing like Potter County ....
Yepper. God's country.

thanks for the photos/story Frank

When I am not at the cabin in Potter, not a week goes by where at some point my mind does not drift off to a memory of a mountain view, a native meadow, or a creek going through a stand of Hemlocks & Ironwood in Potter.

·
Registered
662 Posts
FrankTroutAngler said:
I have used the Pennsylvania Game Commission's website where you can measure distance by simply drawing a line, but that feature no longer works on my work computer, likely due to an extremely outdated browser.

Do you by chance know the formula for calculating the distance between two GPS coordinates?
I use Google Maps. If you 'right click' on your mouse, there is a "Measure distance" option. You can then create two end-points and drag the line to the contour of the stream. I find it really handy to use especially when exploring new streams.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts