The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do they really start gobbling? I’ve been scouting a few new areas as I’ve got time the past couple weeks but haven’t heard anything yet. Caught a glimpse of a few high tailing it out of there but looked like all hens. I’ve also been out just in the afternoons but I’m planning to go early morning as we get closer to the season.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I'm hearing birds in 1A. Over the next two weeks the birds will be dispersing, and things will really start cranking around here. Probably already happening in the southern part of the state.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Watched 3 hens get bred yesterday. Just started getting eggs. It is on. Heard lots of talking. Strutters everywhere yesterday.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Went for a hike this weekend at camp and heard two distant gobbles getting out of the truck. Then had one gobbling at a crow squawking as we were cresting a hill. Saw him scamper across the road in front of us. Then woke up to one gobbling in the backyard on Sunday. So a pretty good impromptu turkey scouting weekend.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
They were hammering on the roost Saturday morning. Went for a ride Sunday afternoon saw 4 gobblers, 2 strutting in a field with a couple hens and 2 following 7 hens in the woods.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Seems like everyone is warming up. I wished I had taken a call with me to mess around a little.

Ticks were terrible on our hike!! Last year seemed like one of the best years for them, I barely noticed them. Between the two of us we flicked 18 off our clothes and had to pick one out of my armpit. Hopefully it is not a sign of how this year will be. I told a buddy this and he said he was hearing the same thing from his friends. We probably put in ~4 miles on mostly gas well roads. Went through some thick jaggers but nothing that I expected to pick up the amount we did.

·
Registered
20,802 Posts
Haven't heard any, but I haven't been out specifically listening either. Usually, I see them in the fields while I'm driving home from work, but not this year. Spring was horrible last year, I wonder if the population is down.

·
Registered
823 Posts
After reading this post on Friday, I woke up early on Sunday morning and decided to go down to my turkey hunting spot to see if they were being vocal yet. Got down there around 6:15, and heard the first gobble on the hill behind me at 6:34. Then the ridgeline in front of me just blew up, with at least 5 or 6 sounding off until around 7:15 when I left.

I love hearing those first gobbles of the year. I am taking my nephew out on the 20th for the youth season, and I cannot WAIT to get out there after them!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Was out yesterday in 2G and saw 10 different gobblers ! We even got to witness a fight between 2 longbeards that lasted over 10 minutes ! We were only about 20 yards away and they could have cared less ! Most of the gobblers were already henned up and we even got to witness at least one hen being bred ! This year has to be better than last year because I never even got to work a bird !

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Heard them this morning. Saw three strutting Tuesday morning.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Was out Wednesday before work didn't hear any, but driving out dirt road a long beard was breeding a hen right on the road. Watched them for about 5 minutes before they broke it off, that was the first time I actually saw turkeys breeding.

·
Registered
18,928 Posts
Was out this morning listening. Lots of gobbling from the roost. In their usual spring spots already in this corner of the state. Fair gobbling once they hit the ground for about an hour then it was quiet.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Birds are EVERYWHERE here in York. Full display and fighting in fields. Mouth gobble out window of truck and half dozen answer back and half come running in. Last week a flock was roosted in neighborhood behind my house gobbling at daybreak! Only small woods lot and large field they came into to feed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts