The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard 6 different birds from 6:12am till 6:25. Could see 3 of them roosted about 100 yds from my back porch. The last 3 mornings they having been gobbling steady on the hills around my house.

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
Same here. This time last year they had been gobbling a couple weeks. Glad to see it's getting started later around the house here. Kinda gets you fired up.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Yes sir, working midnights and on the way home this morning just had to stop and give a listen. I still smile and get a funny feeling in my chest every year when I hear my first gobble. Now it is Game on...

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Last saturday I took a listen at my favorite public land spot in 5a. Heard approx a dozen birds, maybe more . The toms were bunched up in groups how I expect them in March . Been seeing some strutting in the area but as long as those toms stay flocked up a couple more weeks i won't get too worried about them being too early. I just worry when i see full blown breeding in mid March. Another snow or two wouldn't bother me a bit . I like when mother nature gives reality checks . Sure is nice to hear the first gobbling, though. You're right. That never gets old!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
We listened to them gobble on a nearby farm during the last two or three weeks of goose season. Kinda distracted us from the task at hand:)

·
Super Moderator
1,753 Posts
I haven't been out yet listening. I talked to one of the food vendors at work that stops daily and fills up the snack machines and he says he has started to see them in the fields strutting. I talked to a friend of mine and he went out yesterday and he heard 3 at a spot we both hunt. He said the one must have heard him walking in the leaves cause he came right to him so he sat down in a bush to hide and it went by him at 30yds. He said it was a big one with a really wide beard.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Warm weather Sunday had the birds out EVERYWHERE around here. 40+ in field including 11 gobblers, making all sorts of racket. Alittle season preview yesterday was just what the doctor ordered! Poor last couple years during the season seems to have alot of older birds making it through.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Watched a longbeard breed a hen this morning in 2D. He hung around for a few hours. She came to breed and left soon after. Later 3 Jake's joined him and they walked off. He gobbled 25+ times last evening on the limb.

Reactions: octagon

·
Registered
11,321 Posts
I have been seeing and hearing birds like crazy this past week in my area. I've seen flocks from 8 birds up to 30. Strutters all over the place. Good roost gobbling and then they zip their lips after hitting the ground...

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
This thread is 8 years old. I wish things were diff here in The western Side of the state. The birds in my area are thin, normally have a mixed flock of 40-60 birds winter on the farm.
Never saw a bird this winter. Have been shed hunting for the past week and have yet to see a scratching or any sign. I can remember taking an even drive and counting 18-23 stutters, now the same drive seeing one is a big deal.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I didn’t notice that yesterday and now explains why you were working the midnight shift FF. I figured you must have gotten bored with retirement!?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
A dozen longbeards showed up this morning to the turkey yard. It became a turkey riot. They are making more noise than a circus out there. Fighting purrs are nearly constant, punctuated by group gobbles. Fun to watch them try to service my heritage hens while the hens brothers try to fend off the strangers. They are getting serious now. Waiting until they leave to tend the flocks. My dog knows they are out there and isn't happy with the strangers in his yard.

·
Registered
16,506 Posts
This thread is 8 years old.
GOOD CALL THERE. I started reading, and thinking, man oh man, it's good to see some of these guys are covered up in Gobblers. We sure aren't, here in Eastern Wash. Co. Things have DRASTICALLY changed here since 2013. Heck, since 2017.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts