The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone hearing many gobbling? Little over a month away before the season starts and I cannot wait. Anyone seeing any good flocks?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Lots of birds and lots of gobbling. My birds are firing up now. Battle royal yesterday. While all the 2,3 and 4 yr olds fought for pecking order the Jakes were breeding the hens. This warm weather has them cranking. They started gobbling on the roost at 4:35 AM today.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Heard some gobbling this morning. Listening from the rd. Before work. IM READY! Suppose to be in the 60s today and tomorrow. Should take care of the snow and get the birds fired up.

·
Registered
711 Posts
This time of year it’s a waste. A month from now those birds will be spread out and gone or moved to a new location

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
This time of year it’s a waste. A month from now those birds will be spread out and gone or moved to a new location[/QUOTE

Agreed. It’s fun to hear them but it won’t really play into your success in May.

·
Registered
247 Posts
There is a field behind the office i work out of and there were 4 longbeards in full strut yesterday with a couple disinterested hens. 2 more longbeards and 4 jakes were on other end of the field watching them like i was.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Spent the entire day yesterday shed hunting and scouting. Very little turkey sign where I have killed many, making me believe the birds are still in their winter locations and routines. Did see a flock of prob 40 birds with at least 6 stutters when I was traveling though. Will not be long things will be changing.

Ticks are very bad in the Western part of the state, the dog and I were both covered when we returned home..

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I disagree about where you see them now, you won’t later. I have found that those concentrations will still be right there come opening day. Some obviously will have moved off , but for the most part, still worth watching that spot.
I’m hearing a fair amount of gobbling activity so far.

·
Super Moderator
1,743 Posts
I'll be out in the morning looking and listening and later taking a few walks in different areas. The gobblers around here are bunched up in areas that I go to. I have a couple old adversary's to check on from now until the season begins.

·
Super Moderator
14,203 Posts
When turkeys move from winter to spring to fall then back to winter areas depends on many variables of each of the various habitats of the state. It is often very different between the smaller woodlots of the southern and farmlands than it is of the big woods area.

I have learned that in the big woods areas I generally hunt many of the turkeys aren't even back in their spring breeding areas until the week or two before the season.

When we were trapping and banding turkeys we discovered they made huge moves at certain times of the year. Often distances of ten or more miles in a matter of just a month. One moved 35.5 miles from where we trapped and banded it to where it was harvested but that was over a period of several years instead of months.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
19,581 Posts
They are moving into their spring haunts around here right now. I always watch this one point that is easy to see sky lined turkeys roosting. Never birds there till spring. They arrived this past Monday and have been there every morning since.

·
Registered
142 Posts
saturday i saw 3 long beards together, one of witch was strutting and chasing the other 2 around. i assume he was trying to declare his dominance over them.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Couldn't wait any longer. Went this morning but I was late. Heard about six gobblers and heard hens and jakes. Flydown cackle too. Unfortunately they flew down about five minutes after I got there. And this is a place I rarely hunt. But it's close to my house and easy access for listening. Very good first morning out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts