The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my son and I went to camp Friday after work, and thought we'd do a quick evening hunt. We ended up coming across several 100 yards away on the other side of a food plot, and were able to get them close enough for a shot on a longbeard, which my boy unfortunately missed.

Thing is, there was no gobbling, or strutting from the longbeard or the three jakes he was hanging out with. Does that mean that the breeding cycle in that area is winding down? I didn't think that a mature gobbler would tolerate jakes (and vise-versa) for that long.

·
Registered
19,392 Posts
Been seeing that for several weeks down here. Have had a longbeard hanging with a group of jakes on my trail camera since the second week of May. Not a hen in sight. The first bird I killed had two buddies with him.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The first week I called in a long beard and several jakes together. My buddy missed. Every turkey is different. And they are still very killable.

·
Registered
195 Posts
all of my encounters this year have bee with multiple long beards.i have yet to work a single gobbler by himself.it has been one strange season for me.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Last Friday and Saturday I saw two groups of gobblers within half a mile of each other, one had 11, 6 big Jakes and 5 longbeards.the other the best I could tell in the rain had nine, 3 longbeards and 6 jakes...not a single gobble Fri, Sat, Sunday or today...and the area where they are located in for the most part unhunted...strange strange spring!

·
Premium Member
24,137 Posts
I've noticed for the past 10 years that most of the gobblers I've killed always had either a jake or a couple of jakes with it. The one I called in for the MY I had with me had 3 jakes and a hen with him. I don't find that uncommon at all.

·
Registered
21,147 Posts
I've called exactly 30 gobblers in this spring and only one longbeard was by himself.I've called 24 jakes in(different spots)and the there were anywhere from 3-10 jakes each time.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
From what I've seen, the groups of gobblers I scouted in April never really dispersed. Usually by the beginning of the season they're all over the mountain. This year, for the most part, they stayed in wads in certain spots. If you found one, you found several.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm hunting an area with a lot of turkeys, but I haven't heard a gobble in 2 weeks and less than a couple dozen all season. Worst season I've seen.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I like the first week of the PA season. Lots of gobbling and much more fun as well as more action. As the season progresses things get quieter and much more difficult.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
my experiences are very similar to dce's.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Got a good one this morning. He was out on patrol gobbling like a trooper. All alone and looking. I heard him on the march headed my way (had been calling on and off for about 15 minutes or so)

At 10 yards the 20 gauge citori put him down really hard. 10 inch beard, 22 pounds and 1 1/4 spurs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Saw 8 jakes and 2 long beards crossing the road near my house last week, I thought it was pretty crazy but then again they are turkey's anything can happen

1 - 15 of 15 Posts