The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,641 Posts
I prefer a diaphragm call over others because it is easy access for use, it requires very little movement to use. I haven't bought one in years, have several and I toss them into a mixture of water and mouth wash each year, test them and select 3 or 4 I think sound the best. I don't even know who the manufactures are anymore. Some double reeds, others very.

For years. I used nothing but diaphragm calls. Now I carry a Lynch Box call because my vest allows east carry for the box and I use it occasionally usually on wind days or I am calling long range. I also carry a slate and glass calls again because they are an easy carry with pouches for the calls and strikers on my vest. I use these when a gobbler seems to go silent to my diaphragm call or is apparently hung up but close. Some putts and purrs can be made with the diaphragm and/or with the strikers to sound like one or more hens.....

I do use a crow locator call and would not be without one...

I am not one to do a lot of calling, whereas, if a gobbler is coming in I let it come. However, if it appears he is losing interest I try to get him excited once again.

As for as particular turkey calls if he is on the morning roost I make one tree call and wait, when he flies down a yelp or two and see what he does to determine my calling and if he has hens or other gobblers with him....If I can see him I can tell how he is reacting and can adjust my calling amount or change from a yelp, cluck or perhaps a cackle.

When he is in range if he is moving I hold the bead on his head and a make a low chuck or putt. He usually turns his heads to the side and stands idle long enough for a well placed shot.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
I've used a diaphragm from the day I started hunting turkeys and I most always have one in my mouth, but I almost never call with just one call. Usually run several different pots of slate, glass, alum. and ceramic.....but in the last ten years I'd have to say that a wingbone, cane yelper or trumpet have been my "go to" calls, particularly on a tough bird or when the times are tough, lol.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I prefer a diaphragm call over others because it is easy access for use, it requires very little movement to use. I haven't bought one in years, have several and I toss them into a mixture of water and mouth wash each year, test them and select 3 or 4 I think sound the best. I don't even know who the manufactures are anymore. Some double reeds, others very.

For years. I used nothing but diaphragm calls. Now I carry a Lynch Box call because my vest allows east carry for the box and I use it occasionally usually on wind days or I am calling long range. I also carry a slate and glass calls again because they are an easy carry with pouches for the calls and strikers on my vest. I use these when a gobbler seems to go silent to my diaphragm call or is apparently hung up but close. Some putts and purrs can be made with the diaphragm and/or with the strikers to sound like one or more hens.....

I do use a crow locator call and would not be without one...

I am not one to do a lot of calling, whereas, if a gobbler is coming in I let it come. However, if it appears he is losing interest I try to get him excited once again.

As for as particular turkey calls if he is on the morning roost I make one tree call and wait, when he flies down a yelp or two and see what he does to determine my calling and if he has hens or other gobblers with him....If I can see him I can tell how he is reacting and can adjust my calling amount or change from a yelp, cluck or perhaps a cackle.

When he is in range if he is moving I hold the bead on his head and a make a low chuck or putt. He usually turns his heads to the side and stands idle long enough for a well placed shot.
Very Very nice I enjoyed your thoughts and appreciate your time .

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was a mouth call guy. I’ve had some medical issues made mouth calling tough now. Anyhow, my current go to calls are scratchers. First call I grab about every morning. I commonly roost birds. Don’t need lots volume but they can call up to mid range birds. They’re easy to use, small and sound great. I don’t have an exact one I always use. Commonly redheart/holly and yellow heart/mineral poplar are prob near the top though. Best calls in the woods imo

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
An all Sycamore short box made years ago. It is a serial caller. The Full Choke.

I carry another short box in Mahogany the Loud Mouth. A Rupert slate or glass, an EZ wingbone from my birds, a Jay Burnworth wingbone, and assorted diaphragms are in my vest.
Wood Beige Artifact Font Art

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I always keep a batwing cut diaphragm call in my cheek and a Tony Ezolt wingbone around my neck. A few weeks before the season, I'll go though a pile of pot calls and strikers and box calls, and the two pots and one box that sound best to me that day are what go in my bag for the season. I like to play with my calls, so they all see a good bit of use... I freely admit that I call too much.

Out of all those pretty calls though, a simple cluck and yelp that I make with my lips has been the demise of most of the dead gobblers I've been involved with. It's easy to make and sounds different than anything, and I use it a lot.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wood Haven diaphragm calls. I found them several years ago at a small mom and pop sporting goods store while in Ohio hunting. I haven't found one of their calls yet that didn't sound good.

I used to make my own diaphragm calls. I got the kit from sportsmans guide as a gift. I actually got pretty good at it after several years. I have 3 left out of the dozens that I made. They were my go to for years, but now I'm afraid to overuse them. My dad, brother, and I killed our first longbeard from calls that I made.

·
Registered
21,002 Posts
Lynch Fool Proof. I have not found a call that elicits as many answers and interest as the Lynch. I am sure they are out there but I have so much confidence in the Lynch lately that I rarely play around with much else.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
My Lynch original World champ is still my go to call. Actually it’s my first ever call, gifted to me by my sister decades ago.
Just like my shotgun… it’s been tradition to keep using these I guess.?
Although, last couple seasons Kips Ferocious FullChoke has definitely been making them talk!!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
A Quaker Boy The Grand Old Master box call. On the bottom it is signed by Dick Kirby on 3/9/87 and labeled as supreme grade. Many times it has sparked a gobble when other calls don't. The call is mine but I have to share it with my son. Its his favorite too.

·
Registered
22,276 Posts
I only take a box call and two diaphrams,a woodhaven red wasp and Tom teaser red neck hen.I use the box call,when I'm walking along trying to strike up a gobler,and I have a chew in my mouth.About 95% of the time I just have the red neck hen in my mouth.I bought a box call from Kip Feroce and it's about as realistic as you can get for a box call.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Back in high school I saved some summer money from mowing yards and bought Primos Heart Breaker box call signature series. Purple heart top with mahogany sides. It's one of the best sounding boxes calls I have. In matter of fact, I bought another one in case something happened to that one. It stays in the gun cabinet. However, my go to call is mouth calls. No moving around and I can cut hard and purr very well with a diaphragm. I have tons of pot calls but rarely use them. Wing bone looks like fun!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts