The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
I don't have a solution for gnats, all of the products I use for ticks and mosquitos have no effect on them. But I do have to agree, they are terrible this year. Can't go anywhere outside without a swarm around my head.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Try putting some Vanilla Extract on the underside of the bill of your hat or a fresh dryer sheet under your hat. Either of these work for me to a pretty good extent.
It's a real issue if one of these GNATS somehow gets into one of my eyes.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Yep dryer sheet works pretty good. And skin so soft seems to work (usually). For an area treatment, those coils you light and burn down work pretty good (for maybe a 20 x20 area).

When I was a kid we would walk around with punks, pretending to be smoking . Being only 6 years old we were not allowed to have them unsupervised. Being kids, we didn't listen....of course. Well, one day me and my friends were taking our faux smoke break in our garage when my mom called us in for lunch. We quickly ditched our punks in the corner and went in for lunch. About a half hour latter my dad is looking out the window and yells "Holly #[email protected]%, the garage is on fire". Luckily it was not far along and he put it out with a garden hose. And luckily he saw it....there was a lot of valuable stuff in there. It was probably 20 years until I told my parents the origin of that near disaster.

So if you do use punks, be careful!:LOL:

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Yep dryer sheet works pretty good. And skin so soft seems to work (usually). For and area treatment, those coils you light and burn down work pretty good (for maybe a 20 x20 area).

When I was a kid we would walk around with punks, pretending to be smoking . Being only 6 years old we were not allowed to have them unsupervised. Being kids, we did't listen....of course. Well, one day me and my friends were taking our faux smoke break in our garage when my mom called us in for lunch. We quickly ditched our punks in the corner and went in for lunch. About a half hour latter my dad is looking out the window and yells "Holly #[email protected]%, the garage is on fire". Luckily it was not far along and he put it out with a garden hose. And luckily he saw it....there was a lot of valuable stuff in there. It was probably 20 years until I told my parents the origin of that near disaster.

So if you do use punks, be careful!:LOL:

When I was six, I was snitching Lucky Strikes from dad and smoking those out in the corn field. I'm paying for it now.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
When I was six, I was snitching Lucky Strikes from dad and smoking those out in the corn field. I'm paying for it now.
You were way ahead of me....I was at least 10 or 12 until I dared sneak Luckies from my dad. Luckies or Camels, but never the favor of a filter! Thankfully, I never got serious about it.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
You were way ahead of me....I was at least 10 or 12 until I dared sneak Luckies from my dad. Luckies or Camels, but never the favor of a filter! Thankfully, I never got serious about it.
You were smarter than me. Heck, by the time I was 12, I was a pack-a-day smoker... that's what lunch money was for, and you could buy smokes either from a machine, or just tell the man at the store they were for your pop.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
You were smarter than me. Heck, by the time I was 12, I was a pack-a-day smoker... that's what lunch money was for, and you could buy smokes either from a machine, or just tell the man at the store they were for your pop.
My lunch money (once a week) would go for a can of Cope.....25 cents😄

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
The gnats just showed up at the disc golf course 2 days ago and were really bad! Deep Woods Off worked last night at league for me and another guy, guy we played with was swarmed all night!

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Gnats have been bad around here during summers for years. Then, sometime mid-summer we have a big hatch of Damselfly's that knocks them back a bit. I'll sit on the porch of an evening and there are hundreds of Damselfly's buzz bombing gnats in the yard. It's really cool, like a WW1 air fight in miniature.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Try citrannalla [ spelling ?] , put a little on the brim of your hat . also if sitting on deck or porch burn the punk sticks or the OFF candles with citrannella [ spelling ?] or start smoking real stinky cigars.:D

·
Registered
337 Posts
May want to try NEEM oil. I can only find it online. This works great in southern NJ where we have chiggers. If it works on chiggers and mosquitoes, it should work with gnats.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts