The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tractor supply has glyphosphate isopropylamine salt 41% is this the glyphosphate people are using on established clover

·
Registered
654 Posts
The spelling is a little off, glyphosate instead of glyphosphate. This would be a generic form of Roundup. I would not spray it on clover unless you are trying to kill the clove but the clover might tolerate the glyphophate. There are better herbicides to use if you want to kill the clover or kill grass/weeds without killing the clover.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
For use on established clover, most guys use a 1 oz per gallon mix of gly. It will stunt the clover temporarily, but if the clover is not stressed, it will bounce back quickly while the weeds and grass die off. I think most guys do this closer to spring, with lower temperatures and better chance of ample rainfall.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Doesn't glyphosate kill all broad leaf plants, basically everything but grasses and conifers?

Are there ways to apply it that kills undesirable stuff like thistles, multi-flora rose and autumn olive, but does not kill good stuff like clovers, wild flowers, milkweed etc.?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Doesn't glyphosate kill all broad leaf plants, basically everything but grasses and conifers? Are there ways to apply it that kills undesirable stuff like thistles, multi-flora rose and autumn olive, but does not kill good stuff like clovers, wild flowers, milkweed etc.?
Glyphosate is a broad spectrum herbicide, it will kill everything in recommended concentrations and applications, scorched earth results. Works nicely on all the varieties you mention but it kills the good stuff too. Kind of amazing how the overspray kills the good stuff even though you didn't think you had overspray. But just apply it as specifically as you can to problem plants. I've used it on thistles, stinging nettles, mf rose, olive, and knotweed. But best for olive is to cut it (chainsaw) near the ground and immediately with a small hand bottle sprayer or paint brush coat the cut surface with non-diluted gly, no overspray and 100% kill.

2.4-D is one of the broad leaf herbicides that will leave grasses alone. I use it where I have poison ivy around my conifer tree seedlings. Also used it on rose, knotweed, and seedling olive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts