The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Gloves

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Curly Maple 
#1 ·
Does anybody have any suggestions for some cold weather gloves? I was out in the stand today and everything was good except for my fingers, I need to find a nice insulated pair of gloves.

#8 ·
major fan of hot hands. you can buy them for a buck or less a piece at wally world. if you get yourself a muff you only need one maybe two all day. if not bring four and put your hands in your pockets. i hate wearing gloves.

#9 ·
I think Hammerdown was serious in his reply. You lose a surprising percentage of body heat through your head. A good hat helps keep your core temperature higher. That having been said, my hands get cold as well. If it's really cold I use a fleece muff that straps around my waist. Keeps my hands toasty.

#10 ·
I disagree, the surface area of a head is about 9% of the body front and back. Keeping your chest and kidneys warmer would do more than "an extra hat".

I always wear 3/4 cut or 1/2 cut wool gloves in the winter. I tried fishing neoprene gloves and my hands got way too hot when I was moving around. I'm sure on stand they would be perfect.

#11 ·
I'll tell what works best for me. I took a pair of heavy wool blend socks that have elastic around the ankle. Not all have it. I cut off the toe area leaving that ankle elastic. I place the sock on my arm and the elastic at the end closes the sock down to a small hole. In the sock I place a chemical bag warmer. I can keep my hands closed in a fist...that helps keep them warm too. Not for everyone, but sure works for me.

My fingers will pop out in short order when I need them clear. The chemical bag stays in the wrist area with a little practice.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.