The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a muff with hand warmers and bare hands. I'm thinking it would be a lot more comfortable when holding the cold bow for extended time to have some light gloves on. Just thinking if you shoot hundreds or thousands of arrows without gloves, could it be a problem throwing them on, even if you get in some shooting. Or do you practice year round with gloves?

·
Super Moderator
13,016 Posts
I use muffs and sometimes hand warmers......it keeps my hands much warmer than gloves. One must keep their hands dry to keep them warm. I wear do mittens with driving my 4 wheeler on an extremely cold day.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wearing gloves does change my point of impact, so I bare hand it(muff or remove gloves before shooting) until it absolutely is needed, then I practice with gloves and wear them the entire time

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
When it starts getting colder I also put my hands in a muff with a hand warmer in it with no gloves. The front of my muff has a pocket for my range finder which makes it easy to access with my shooting hand while I'm holding my bow. If it really gets cold I will put a thin glove on my bow hand only while inside the muff and it doesn't change my accuracy. I would definitely shoot a few arrows wearing the gloves to make sure your on. I also don't hunt with a wrist strap and my release is on string loop so my shooting hand can stay in the muff until I'm ready to shoot and it's so much easier using a range finder or anything else without something strapped to your hand.

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
I always wear gloves as well as a facemask when Archery hunting, come September I start wearing my face mask and gloves when I`m out at our Archery Club shooting 3-D. This really helps me get a good feel for that one shot that counts the most......

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I almost always wear light gloves to conceal the brightness of my hands. When it gets cold I I wear my Sitka Fanatic outfit that has a built in hand muff and if its really cold I will use a hand warmer in it. One thing that I have found out though is that when you use a hand warmer and then pull your hand out of the muff it gets cold super fast so I don't use them unless I really need them !

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'll wear a thin glove on my left hand - i always feel like my hand is exposed and I do it for concealment as much as comfort when its cool out. I don't wear anything on my right hand - I don't practice with the glove on my right hand - so I'm not going to try and shoot with it on at a deer. I did try to practice with it once and didn't like how I couldn't feel as much. I do the same thing with a rifle - need that right hand bare.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In warm weather I wear lightweight fingerless gloves for concealment. In cold weather I use a handmuff and wear insulated fingerless gloves.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I generally wear gloves all days except early season when it's very warm. I don't have a issue with my bow hand and gloves. I don't see it affecting impact, unless you torque your bow a bit normally.

I have had issues with my release over a glove in the past. I've been using Manzella gloves that have a release hole built into them and like them A LOT. I use a thinner glove style pair in the early season and the fleece mitten style convertibles when it's real cold.

I only use a handmuff if it's extremely cold.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I wear gloves all season either thin gloves just for concealment or thick gloves for warmth. I don’t notice much of a shift in POI. Only thing if wearing thicker gloves I do keep in mind the sensitivity level of my trigger finger is reduced when I go to let an arrow fly.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I never worry about concealing my hands and face in the tree and never have an issue with deer seeing me. I do wear a face gaiter when it's cold but I can't pull it up over my nose because my glasses fog up. Wearing glasses while hunting is a real pain.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I wear thin gloves while on stand and a hand muff. I'm thinking about getting a wind proof one this year because I use it so much. I am also considering trying my fishing mittens as they are warm and have a very thin palm. I hate when my hands or toes get cold.

·
Super Moderator
13,016 Posts
I do not wear gloves to conceal my hands, do not wear a mask, I do sometimes pull my turtle neck up on my neck for warmth. I also set as still as possible not moving for long periods of time. I keep my eyes and ears active in an effort to spot game before it gets close so I can plan my movements while the prey is highly unlikely to see my slow movements and before they are on top on my location. Has all worked very well for me.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I wear thin gloves (Under Armor early season, they're fantanstic) on my left hand pretty much all the time, unless I'm hot. If it's colder I'll put the right one on too. I like these gloves from the 70's down to the 30's. I do always make sure to shoot a few shots with the gloves from time to time to make sure I'm comfortable and besides knowing that I need my release buckle one notch out there's no change in my shooting. Granted, I'm nowhere near a competition shooter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts