The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Glock 23 in 40 S&W and am thinking of adding their Slimline 36 in 45 ACP to the collection. My quesiton is; who out there has any exp. with this model?

Is the size differance all that great when compared to the 23? How about their model 30? I would like to have a handgun in 45 ACP. I know alot of you will reply "buy a 1911" - I have owned a Colt 1991A1 a while back and never quite warmed up to it and it was traded off for the Glock 23

I am and have been a fan of these handguns for quite some time, but only own one. I find them a great defensive handgun. I am not afraid to stick mine in my holster when hiking, camping, canoeing - they are pretty plain jane, but keep on ticking....

What do you guys think of them?

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'm new to Glocks,just bought a Glock 30 last night Traded my colt on it for something smaller. I'm going to shoot it today. I have big hands so I didn't like the feel of the "sf" model.I'll let you know after I shoot it!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The Glock 36 is a great pistol, as is all the other Glock Line. I have one, and love it!

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
I own a Glock 36 and its my daily carry, it is indeed slimmer and fits me better since I have smaller hands. I simply love it. I also own a Glock 17 and the 36 just feels better to me. The 36 hides well under a t shirt.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I own or have owned all those in question. I sold my 36 however, its a little slimmer however,its not that much thinner than the 30.
Basically the 30 is just a bit thicker than your 23. However, the 36 is only a bit slimmer than the 23. For the reduction in size you loose either 7 rounds compared to the 23 or 4 rounds to the 30. I'd rather have just a lil bit more size to get the capacity. I love Glocks period but think you'd be better off with the 30 if its comfortable enough for you to handle.
An added bonus is the fact that the 30 can take a G21 mag to up its capacity even more. Not something you'd do often but a nice option to have.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I first had the 23 for 3 years and bought a brand new 36 last year for $429.00 at a gun shop grand opening and then sold the 23 for $325.oo, the only difference that I felt was that the 36 is slimmer, my 15 year old daughter shoots the .45 with no problems, but I still prefer to carry my wifes Beretta 84F which is the exact same size as my 36 but a little wider in the grip due to the 13 shot clip.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Having been strictly a wheelgun and 1911 fan years ago, it took a while for me to warm up to Glock's. I bought my first one (G21) in '94. That generation frame sometimes feels like a 2x4 for a handle in my hand; but I can shoot that gun extremely well. All Glock's are natural pointers and sit low in the hand for good recoil recovery. Over the years, I've shot most of their models, and find them all to be excellent. They are simple in design, simple to disassemble/repair/upgrade, and just always seem to work. My friend just sold his G30 (he never tried the Pearce grip-extensions) because he felt the small .45 hammered him too much. He went to a S&W 9mm model and is happier now.

Some people seem to love the Glock, others never warm up to it. I had to be coaxed somewhat but I like them and they certainly have their place in the LE market.

I like the Pearce grip-extensions on the smaller compact models. I've read great reviews on the Slimline 36. Myself, I always wished years ago that Glock come out with a full-size or a "Commander" size frame, single-stack .45. I never saw a need for 13 or 15 rounds (possible with the Glock +2 extensions) in a .45acp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts